Draw Tag Chugach Sheep Hunt

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since people are getting cabin fever it's time to roll out some hunt reports from 2019.

We rolled into the potato field early Saturday morning, checking in with our pilot, we talked over which strip we’d be flying into. The area I had wanted to fly into was hammered by August rains and the strip was washed out. With that stroke of bad luck, everyone who drew the late season tag would likely be hunting in the exact same area we were forced to go. It was agreed that I’d fly in first and my father in law (Lee) would fly in behind me so I handed my pack to the pilot and climbed into the back of his Cub. We taxied out of his hangar and across his field where the short strip was. A few seconds later we were in the perfect bluebird air and headed into the Chugach for sheep.

CuPXGCI.jpg

IQ89VmP.jpg

yHrbAZi.jpg

sNKI691.jpg

We landed near the head of a drainage on a short strip. Kicking my gear and I out of the plane, the pilot was back in the air to pick up Lee. Knowing the effort to come, I found a grassy patch and laid down for a nap while I waited. What seemed like a matter of seconds later I heard the airplane buzzing back up the valley with Lee in it. Just as quickly as the first trip, the Cub was back in the air. We were standing off the end of the runway stowing gear and getting ready for the hike when two Cubs came down the valley in tandem. Great just as I thought, this is going to be a crowded hunt. Now I know backcountry public runway etiquette very well and what happened next thoroughly pissed me off. The first Cub dropped low and buzzed us VERY close in the process.

RANT WARNING: I later learned the pilot of the first plane told his passenger that he didn’t see us and was coming in to land which is why he had been so close. First off, I don’t know a single pilot that lands before checking the strip. Second, if you can’t see two guys standing on the edge of a river bank in plain view, you shouldn’t be flying. Third, we were well beyond the turnaround point for the strip. All the planes land heading east coming up the valley (uphill for a short landing) and they take off down the valley heading west (downhill for a quick takeoff). We were standing well beyond the turnaround clearing on the EAST end of the strip. What really smoked me is that I know both of the pilots, our families have known each other for decades. They’re exceptional pilots with tremendous experience and I wouldn’t hesitate to fly with them.

There’s no point in blowing up on a hunt. Also if it genuinely was an accident, I would have regretted grenading. I’m not in the hills to get in confrontations, I’m in the hills because that’s my happy place and I get tired of dealing with confrontations at my day job. Fuming, I grabbed my pack and hiked until I wasn’t pissed off anymore.

HcRNo44.jpg

Lee was probably less impressed with my pace than he was with the pilot buzzing us so I backed off the throttle. The hunt was back on track shortly. As we walked along the valley floor, ewes and lambs fed above us on both sides. A short while later, we bumped a good sized bull moose down in the alders. Hiking until midday, we stopped for lunch and talked over the route to get into Lee’s hunt area.

FoRxgUq.jpg

Lee is approaching his mid 60’s and had recently had surgery so we took our sweet time gaining the elevation. By early evening we were nearing a bowl at the head of a drainage and the Chugach did what it’s famous for. The weather went from complete blue bird to rain/hail mix in less than fifteen minutes. Seeing the storm blowing in I dropped my pack, yanked out my tarp and setup the tent. Just as I got the rain fly on, the weather hit. Lee wasn’t quite as lucky and made his way up to the tent looking like a half frozen, drowned rat by the time he got there. The storm didn’t last too long so I crawled out of the tent and boiled water for dinner. Lee had gotten very chilled so he stayed in the tent while I scouted routes for the following day.

bcUL4E5.jpg

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the morning we broke camp just in time to have the two hunters from the Cub incident stop by. Thankfully Wes and Kenny are really nice guys that happen to work in the same field as I do. It’s actually quite surprising we didn’t already know each other. We agreed to hike together up and over the next ridge which was quite broken and only offered one or two possible routes. Wes and Kenny had left a large chunk of their gear down in the bowl and after spotting sheep in the new valley they decided to head back to grab their gear and they’d rendezvous with us later in the day. Lee and I proceeded on and dropped down onto a plateau that offered a killer glassing vantage, flat spots for the tent and water very close by. It was perfect to the point I was suspicious honestly.

This picture is very deceiving, this slope has shale on top of slab and/or ice. It's like trying to walk up a hill of marbles.
xKXFtsb.jpg

Lee’s tag opened the following day so we set camp and glassed the rams down the valley. On the way back from getting water and cleaning our utensils I dropped my spork. I spent a very long time retracing my steps looking for my grey titanium spork and never did find it. About the time I gave up, Wes and Kenny made their way into our camping spot. We had pre-agreed that Lee would get first shot at a ram but they were more than welcome to share camp and hunt with us. We glassed and counted rams until light faded on us. Over the course of the day Wes had noticed my Rokslide sleeveless tank and mentioned he was a forum member as well, it shouldn’t have surprised me.

The new spot is money!
fo20Yqp.jpg

At first light, the rams were right where we left them and had actually started feeding up the valley toward us. There were two rams in the group we had decided were shooters given the circumstances with limited access. We readied our gear as they got closer and closer. When they started to feed up into a small sidecut in the valley we made our move. Leading the charge I assumed they would be up there for several minutes and we could sneak above them for a shot. I couldn’t have been more wrong, one of the smaller rams popped back out of the cut and busted all four of us out in the open. He bolted and took the rest of the rams with him way up into the cliffs down the valley. We did the walk of shame back to camp, packed our bags for the rest of the day and started down the valley. We worked our way along the creek, glassing up into the cuts and dips but we couldn’t find a ram that was accessible. We made it back to camp before dark and repeated the glassing session from the night before. Again we put the rams to bed, although this evening they were way higher up in the cliffs.

K2GT7Ce.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
When light broke the horizon we were already up. Drinking coffee and working the glass we found that the rams had dropped down again and a few looked quite promising. We talked over the game plan and Lee reluctantly told me he needed to take a day off. The ruggedness of the Chugach had taken its toll on him. Wes and Kenny were kind enough to offer to let me tag along for something to do. Since I’d just be pacing around camp all day, Lee insisted I go with them. I agreed to tag along but not without quite a bit of hesitation and feeling guilty for leaving Lee by himself.

The three of us took off down the valley again in pursuit of rams. Lacking any decent cover, the rams easily saw our approach. Knowing we couldn’t get to them in the cliffs, they would casually feed up out of reach just as we’d get close. We made it to the end of the valley and eyed a large bowl up above on one side. We had seen a good ram head in there after we spooked them yesterday. It seemed like a decent option so we gave it a shot.

sl60plF.jpg

As I crested into the bowl I immediately noticed a white figure on my right, I froze and dropped to the ground slowly. Bedded down and facing the opposite direction was a ram all alone. He likely wouldn’t stay there long, so I shimmied out of my pack, weaseled my way back out of the ram’s sight and ran down to Wes and Kenny. Wes and I hustled back up to my spot while Kenny hung back a bit to reduce numbers. Back up the hill again, the ram was right where I had left him but facing the opposite direction now which made it much harder to get a clear shot due to the roll of the hill. Not having a stable base to shoot from, I propped my leg up and Wes shot from my knee as I leaned back. The .325 WSM did its thing and crumpled the ram instantly.

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the shot, Kenny made his way up to us. We snapped a few pics and made quick work caping and cutting. We split the deboned meat up between us and marched back to camp. Lee had heard the shot from up the valley and figured we’d tipped something over. Before dark, we popped the head out of the cape and cut the skull to save a little weight.

Tl3oBOW.jpg

5fk2QGJ.jpg

RP0mpG2.jpg

7yJK0tl.jpg

We slept in the following morning and enjoyed the warmth of the sunlight as it rose. Lee decided he’d had as much fun just being outside in the mountains as he would have if he killed a sheep so he wanted to head back to the strip with Wes and Kenny. After camp was packed away, we shuttled loads up and out of the valley. Unknowingly at some point in the process, Lee’s inReach activated its SOS which very nearly resulted in a chopper coming to get us. It stayed activated for the better part of an hour and if we hadn’t heard it beeping in time to send a cancel message things would’ve gotten real exciting.

JyfMpVs.jpg

AJtqACx.jpg

tGjCrNc.jpg

qLi0m3Y.jpg

Before dark we pulled camp and setup for the night. The airstrip was just a couple miles below us but there was already two tents there and we didn’t want to have to share backstrap! Speaking of which, Wes was gracious enough to share some with us and Lee was crazy enough he had an actual skillet in his pack. I carry a bag of steak seasoning with me all the time in the field so it made for the very best mountain meal EVER.

cedSt3W.jpg

KBUov8I.jpg

5y0Lwxv.jpg

ykSzBIZ.jpg

Back at the strip, Wes and Kenny flew out that afternoon. Our pilot was very busy with hunters and potato harvest (yes seriously) so it would be a day before we could be picked up. The weather held and we had a great time sitting around a fire and swapping stories.

vvOxlmA.jpg

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
At the shot, Kenny made his way up to us. We snapped a few pics and made quick work caping and cutting. We split the deboned meat up between us and hustled back to camp. Lee had heard the shot from up the valley and figured we’d tipped something over. Before dark, we popped the head out of the cape and cut the skull to save a little weight.

Tl3oBOW.jpg

5fk2QGJ.jpg

RP0mpG2.jpg

7yJK0tl.jpg

We slept in the following morning and enjoyed the warmth of the sunlight as it rose. Lee decided he’d had as much fun just being outside in the mountains as he would have if he killed a sheep so he wanted to head back to the strip with Wes and Kenny. After camp was packed away, we shuttled loads up and out of the valley. Unknowingly at some point in the process, Lee’s inReach activated its SOS which very nearly resulted in a chopper coming to get us. It stayed activated for the better part of an hour and if we hadn’t heard it beeping in time to send a cancel message things would’ve gotten real exciting.

JyfMpVs.jpg

AJtqACx.jpg

tGjCrNc.jpg

qLi0m3Y.jpg

Before dark we pulled camp and setup for the night. The airstrip was just a couple miles below us but there was already two tents there and we didn’t want to have to share backstrap! Speaking of which, Wes was gracious enough to share some with us and Lee was crazy enough he had an actual skillet in his pack. I carry a bag of steak seasoning with me all the time in the field so it made for the very best mountain meal EVER.

cedSt3W.jpg

KBUov8I.jpg

5y0Lwxv.jpg

ykSzBIZ.jpg

Back at the strip, Wes and Kenny flew out that afternoon. Our pilot was very busy with hunters and potato harvest (yes seriously) so it would be a day before we could be picked up. The weather held and we had a great time sitting around a fire and swapping stories.

vvOxlmA.jpg

You’re a potato harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
And I might be a potato but I didn't walk away from a legal ram...

👻 this thread is now haunting Adam.

Throwing around that kind of shade, If I didn’t know any better, I’d have you confused for a westie. How are you preparing your black bear shank this weekend Mr. Kyle? Sous Vide? Slow smoked, blackened and finished in the oven? Will you take pics and post step by steps? Or will you blog about it? Just curious. Heart you. 😘

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Throwing around that kind of shade, If I didn’t know any better, I’d have you confused for a westie. How are you preparing your black bear shank this weekend Mr. Kyle? Sous Vide? Slow smoked, blackened and finished in the oven? Will you take pics and post step by steps? Or will you blog about it? Just curious. Heart you. 😘

The same way you're cooking your 2019 sheep meat....

I'm also 12" taller and 70lbs heavier than westie maximum standards. Additionally with the size of my noggin there's no room for my ears tucked into my hat, I'm lucky to get my head and ears through my shirt.

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great read and pics Kyle, thanks for posting! Do you know what the bio aged him at? Guessing 7 1/2?

37"RS x 36"LS with 14" bases and 7 years old. I hate to say things like this because it lessens the ram but he would've been massive in 2-3 years.

It isn't fair to that area what the washed out strips did to the population. It funneled every hunter into the same area, each one possessing an any ram tag. Rather than going home empty handed, guys were shooting 3-4 year old rams just to punch the tag. That particular drainage will have very few mature rams for years unless bigger rams move in.

Sounds like it was a great hunt. And, excellent pictures, thanks for sharing Kyle!! It is indeed cabin fever season, I might have to do a hunt report or two myself.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like it was a great hunt. And, excellent pictures, thanks for sharing Kyle!! It is indeed cabin fever season, I might have to do a hunt report or two myself.

Well you have to now! One of your bears is almost clean btw, the other will go in the beetles shortly.

leoni1

FNG
Congratulations on the fun hunt and beautiful pics. Thank you for sharing. Also hats off to you for your willpower and mental flexibility to regroup and turn a frustrating situation at the airstrip into a successful hunt.

Being from Alberta and hunting the OTC bighorn tag every year, i find that mental toughness can help you overcome potentially confrontational and often competitive situations with other hunters, as you showed in spades.

Most of us don’t head to the hills to make new friends, myself included, but it sure helps to be able to work together with other groups when no other good alternative exists.