Draw unit expectations

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
So for the ones that have gathered PP for 10,15, or 20+ (resident or non-resident)years in hopes of drawing that one unit, was it everything you thought it would be. How was your hunting experience? Was it worth the wait. Did you go DIY or with a outfitter. If given the chance, would you go back to the same unit

Last edited:

Wheels

WKR
Drew a tag that required 16 PP, and had visions of 400" bulls behind every tree. Wasn't quite that way but was still a very fun hunt and would love to go back, but that'll likely never happen.

ckleeves

WKR
I hate to say it but 10-20 points in Colorado these days isn’t getting you much (for a non-res). The quality of hunt vs points required ratio isn’t pretty right now. Some other states aren’t much better but Co is leading the league on applying for 20+ years to bring home a sub 300” bull.

Gerbdog

WKR
Spent 6 points last year and i gotta say..... miles ahead of OTC units ive hunted. Just isnt comparable the amount of elk i was into all of September.

cnelk

WKR
In 35 years of getting/using PPs, I’ve hunted 2 of the top tier units in Colorado and one mid-tier.

They were all as expected

Jaquomo

WKR
Bowhunted the best OIL unit in CO in 2013. DIY on public land with my longtime hunting partner. There were lots of average 260-320 bulls, but not many bigger, like some people expect. It was a hard hunt due to the terrain and other variables, and every year some hunters strike out in these three units.

That said, we killed the two biggest bulls we saw or cammed (350+) with recurves, but we had a combined 79 years of bowhunting elk at the time. Just because it takes a ton of points doesn't mean it will be a good hunt for giant bulls. It will be a "great" hunt for elk.

Brooks

WKR
Chasing points for up to 20 years….. a lot can change in that amount of time. The elk herd changes, the game and fish can change things up, point creep…. A unit today that takes say 16 points now to draw will probably take 26 years to draw…. I know because when I started buying AZ elk points it was 10 points for the unit I wanted today it’s 22 and I still haven’t drawn it, but I have a boat load of points…

Calbuck

WKR
in my experience (granted, I have never really tried to save for that long) the pressure to find a giant can make the hunt a little less enjoyable. The amount of game you see will prob be significantly greater, but the trophies you imagine being everywhere just aren't there like you think..now with that said, you will also see less people, and you stand a greater chance of finding a good sized trophy just because of the greater number of animals you're able to look at. I've also never went on a guided hunt so can't comment on that experience.

180ls1

WKR
Yes, worth it for a DIY guy. That said, every hunt I go on is worth it. I have a mix of OTC, minimal point and long draw hunts. I like it that way.

6.5x284

WKR
I drew a premium tag and only found 12 bulls in 10 days. I was told I should have opportunities at 380+ and only two were over 300. Weather played a big part, but talking to previous tag holders, I expected 150+ elk herded up bugling and having to pick out my bull. That wasn't the case on my year at all even though it was many previous years. You just never know. Still had a great hunt and took a great 350+ bull. Was definitely harder to get on elk than I expected though.

I think points really just provide you with a chance at better age class. Doesn't mean there are a lot, but generally age class potential is better with high point units.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
Please understand the hunt quality does not scale linearly with points. There are diminishing returns with every point used, generally speaking.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve been in a 10ish point unit a couple of times. Archery and rifle. Completely different experience. Killing a big bull with a bow is hard, period, end of story. Rifle is another story…

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I drew a premium tag and only found 12 bulls in 10 days. I was told I should have opportunities at 380+ and only two were over 300. Weather played a big part, but talking to previous tag holders, I expected 150+ elk herded up bugling and having to pick out my bull. That wasn't the case on my year at all even though it was many previous years. You just never know. Still had a great hunt and took a great 350+ bull. Was definitely harder to get on elk than I expected though.

I think points really just provide you with a chance at better age class. Doesn't mean there are a lot, but generally age class potential is better with high point units.
I was thinking the same with better age class and less people.

I drew 3 units in 3 years that each took over 20 points to draw as the top point holder. I was lucky and drew random tags with 9, 6, and 12 points on the 3 hunts. They were really fun but I would have been disappointed if I was one of the people that had max points for those tags.

I guess my only expectation would be to see little to no people, and "get something kill't". There are elk in any unit. It's up to me to find them.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been hunting elk in CO since 1980 and the most points I've used on a tag was 6, and that was only recently because of point creep. Even with all lower point hunts (and even OTC), I've had some fantastic hunts. Hunts where I could have come home empty handed and still been very satisfied with the season. It's fun bowhunting and getting on mature bulls every time out regardless what they score. Don't worry about scores, just get a tag and enjoy the hunt.

ckleeves

WKR
With OTC possibly going away in colorado do you think point creep will get worst? I would think a lot of people would have to burn points unless they had other opinions for hunting

I could see it getting bad for a few years in the middle tier units as guys burn their points realizing that they are still years from the top and wanting out so they can just draw their old OTC unit every year. After that I could see it dropping fast. I don’t see many guys wanting to sit on the sidelines for what middle/top tier units are taking currently with no elk tag in their pocket for that many years.

Small sample size but out of all my friends and myself not a single one will be building CO elk points if it goes all draw unless by some miracle the mid tier units I like drop to about one point for archery and 2 for muzzy then I might consider it.