Dream hunts a 20 year old should build points for?

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I would have started at 20. We have enough over the counter opportunities I was content. And now I’m late to the game. For me personally a “dream” hunt is hunting somewhere that is better than here. I would take opportunity to hunt over waiting for a trophy hunt.

WBT

FNG
With thousands of point holders ahead of you, you’ll be hoping for a random sheep/moose/goat tag most likely. Elk/deer/antelope you can plan for. My honest opinion is that if you want to hunt the big three, get a good job, save and then go to Alaska or Canada.

When I was in my late 20s I decided that I really wanted a mountain goat. I did the math and buying licenses, building points and simply hoping I’d draw within 10-15 years didn’t make sense. It was far cheaper to just buy a hunt in BC.

Maverick1

WKR
If you have the money, points everywhere for everything. And many of these you have a small small chance to draw without maximum points. Chances are good that you can outlive the other point holders ahead of you.

Better yet, start putting away $100 a month on auto draft into a dedicated savings (ideally high yield interest rate). Then buy the dream hunt while you’re still young and in good shape.
This is good advice, and bad. LOL.

Points everywhere, for everything - that you actually have a chance of drawing someday. (Drawing systems change, and no one really knows what the future holds. Wyoming recently passed 90/10, for example - and that made things worse for the NR.) But, there are some things that buying points for now is a complete waste of money. I listed Wyoming moose above for a NR. At $150 per point, this is a waste of money. A person buying their first preference point in 2024 has zero chance of ever drawing a tag. Here is a thread with some information.

@ZMT - you may have missed the point: moose is just ONE example of a species where it is a waste of money to build points. There are MANY other states and species that this same situation applies to, such as Sheep. Elk. Deer. My suggestion is to look at states and species where you should not apply and cross those off the list right off the bat.

30 years down the road you will have some winners and some losers. Points that were worthwhile and turned into great hunts. Points that were a waste and didn’t pan out for a variety of reasons; the states will invariably change the drawing systems between now and then, some favorably, others not.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I think I'll start building in as many states as possible then. I'm skipping NM this year since I couldn't afford a guided hunt, but going forward I'll apply there as well. I would love to move to a state with good hunting, but my industry requires I pick between NYC, Chicago, or Dallas (+/- 2 hours away). Front range Colorado is a remote possibility, but I would take a significant pay cut.

On the list for sure is Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado for elk, deer, and sheep. Moose I don't care about - I'd rather put the money I would spend on points into a Canadian hunt, which is likely still cheaper

I know sheep are a pipe dream, but half the fun for me is planning these out

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the industry?
A niche type of law - I'm working at a firm now and am headed to law school next year. Technically could work it anywhere, but moving from those cities I would likely be taking a 60% pay cut. I'd rather save the money and retire when I'm 50.

I didn't mention it because I know some people will suggest that I just pay outright for my dream hunts, but I just can't justify a $100,000 sheep hunt in 15 years (certainly where it's headed) when that could be earning some nice interest and securing my future.

If in 30 years I wasn't able to draw any of the tags I wanted I'd re-evaluate, but the thought of dropping that kind of money on a hunt seems crazy to me, no matter what you make, when there are so many people out there who can't keep food on the table

Front range Colorado is a remote possibility, but I would take a significant pay cut.

I'm on the front range. Shoot me a message if you've got any questions about the area. My 2 cents, the money isn't necessarily the most important factor in your decision.

dlee56

WKR
At 20 you’d be wise to put some money into a high yield savings account or stocks/bonds. Dump $100/mo or more if you can afford it and you’ll be hunting Stone Sheep and Yukon Moose in your 50s.

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks guys, I think I'll start building in as many states as possible then. I'm skipping NM this year since I couldn't afford a guided hunt, but going forward I'll apply there as well. I would love to move to a state with good hunting, but my industry requires I pick between NYC, Chicago, or Dallas (+/- 2 hours away). Front range Colorado is a remote possibility, but I would take a significant pay cut.

On the list for sure is Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado for elk, deer, and sheep. Moose I don't care about - I'd rather put the money I would spend on points into a Canadian hunt, which is likely still cheaper

I know sheep are a pipe dream, but half the fun for me is planning these out
You might as well apply for moose in Utah. You got the license and it’s 15 bucks.

Fullfan

WKR
First off find a career that will let you take the time, and pay well enough. Do this, then along will come a woman and change everything. Oh and don’t forget you will have a few kids. Unless you are planning on staying single.

Squincher

WKR
You're setting yourself up for a big "I wish I would have...." inasmuch as you are going to have the points rug pulled out from under you on many occasions at your age, and not everyone goes without health problems into their 50's. It sounds like you are going to have the financial wherewithal to do some amazing hunts in the next 20 years if that is your priority. You will have hunted a lot more if you spend on hunting rather than the possibility of hunting.

Don’t chase the money train too much. Would you rather make $500k in one of them 3 cities or $200-300K and live in a place like AK? That’s not even something I would have to think about. Hell, even is if was $50K vs $500k!

They best way to not get completely emotionally drained by the points game is by living in a place with so much opportunity that those points species in a far off land are just an afterthought. I have double digit points in a few states. They’re just set it and forget it for me. I don’t have any plan within the next 5 years to even apply. I’m too busy with what’s in my backyard!

wytx

WKR
Buy your PPs for Colorado and Wyoming- elk deer and antelope.
Moose PP in Colorado , better odds tom draw than Wyoming I think.

Univer. of Wyoming also has a good law school and very affordable. You could have come here , worked on residency and then hunted as a resident when established.

I wouldn’t worry about points.

Save money and go on dream hunts every few years.

You will drop thousands in points in multiple states with net negative return.

Take that money, put it in a high yield savings account and make 5% on your money.

You could do decent hunts every 3-5 yrs (elk, mule deer, pronghorn etc) or awesome hunts every 8-10 years (sheep, goat, moose).

TaperPin

WKR
You will never draw a hunt you dont apply for.

Stop listening to the nay-sayers. You may have low odds but it is your dream not theirs.
To the OP, get these three sentences tattooed on your forearm in some cool looking foreign language. Best advice ever. Tell your law school buddies it says “law-of-the-draw” or some lawyer shit and you’re seem extra fierce - probably one of their dad’s will offer you the big fancy job because it shows dedication. As a company perk maybe old Pops will fly you and his son on the company jet to whack a pair of Stone sheep in BC.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, definitely a lot to think about. Really appreciate every taking the time to offer their advice

Wyco307

FNG
I wish I would have started at 20. We have enough over the counter opportunities I was content. And now I’m late to the game. For me personally a “dream” hunt is hunting somewhere that is better than here. I would take opportunity to hunt over waiting for a trophy hunt.Per

I wish I would have started at 20. We have enough over the counter opportunities I was content. And now I’m late to the game. For me personally a “dream” hunt is hunting somewhere that is better than here. I would take opportunity to hunt over waiting for a trophy hunt.
Personally, I'm a firm believer in being an opportunity hunter. Pick the species you want to hunt and dive into draw odds in each state. Learn the states where people can "return" tags and live on lefover/returned tag lists. Gaining experience far exceeds banking a bunch of points with point creep. If you wait10 years to build points to chase elk, but you've never elk hunted it will be difficult.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I'm a firm believer in being an opportunity hunter. Pick the species you want to hunt and dive into draw odds in each state. Learn the states where people can "return" tags and live on lefover/returned tag lists. Gaining experience far exceeds banking a bunch of points with point creep. If you wait10 years to build points to chase elk, but you've never elk hunted it will be difficult.
Without a doubt. Got an OTC tag in AZ for deer I'm taking advantage of. I'll be hunting every year, hopefully at least twice. These draw hunts are more intended to be something I get enjoyment from planning them than actually thinking they're going to be some fantastic, otherworldly hunt.

I would imagine I'll likely get my highest scoring animals from other places easier to hunt given the fact I'll be there more frequently. Something about the thought of having a unit packed with 350" bulls, though, is nice to think about for the future lol