Drop camp

Jtapia12

FNG
Doing a drop camp next year in the Brooks range any equipment recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated

LightFoot

WKR
What outfitter?
What dates?
How many days?
Guided or DIY?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
North Star outfitters is going to do a drop camp for my cousin and myself it's gonna be an August for 10 days

LightFoot

WKR
Rifle 6.5mm or bigger
Scope - Rugged and reliable
Quality ammunition
Rangefinder
Binos and/or spotter
Trekking poles
Rain gear
Insulation layers
Midlayers
Base layers
Gaiters
Quality boots already broken in
Frame pack
Kill kit
Hygiene kit
Garmin Inreach
Hat & beanie
Sunglasses
A positive attitude

I would probably rent the camping gear from the outfitter. Not worth the cost and hassle of extra bags flying in.

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
Thank you Lightfoot that's a good list right there I'll be taking my 300 WSM and the only thing I really need from the list is the positive attitude out there and thank you sir

Lightfoot had a great list. Couple items I would highlight would be good boots and trekking poles (for sure). You might look at some sort of water filter. Also something to cook the bou on after the kill. We were lucky and found an old grill grate at a very old camp site that was about mile from our camp. Was the best thing we could have had to cook up those backstraps!

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
Lightfoot had a great list. Couple items I would highlight would be good boots and trekking poles (for sure). You might look at some sort of water filter. Also something to cook the bou on after the kill. We were lucky and found an old grill grate at a very old camp site that was about mile from our camp. Was the best thing we could have had to cook up those backstraps!
I got a couple lifestraws for emergencies and been looking into water filters. That's a good idea can go wrong with fresh backstraps thank you

LightFoot

WKR
I am leaving this week to return to the North Slope for Caribou. I am carrying a life straw and UV purification bottle. However, in 2019 I drank probably a gallon straight from the tundra and no issues, GI or otherwise.

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
I got a couple lifestraws for emergencies and been looking into water filters. That's a good idea can go wrong with fresh backstraps

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
I am leaving this week to return to the North Slope for Caribou. I am carrying a life straw and UV purification bottle. However, in 2019 I drank probably a gallon straight from the tundra and no issues, GI or otherwise.

Good luck

Nontyp

FNG
We hunted with Ryan last year. Great fishing and a good hunt. We filtered with a bag type filter at camp and had life straw and sawyer filters. We had hippies and stocking foot waders and could cross the river every 1/4-1/2 mile but the water was a little low I think. A tarp to shield your meat from the sun is handy. We laid our meet on the willow brush for circulation.
We are moose hunting with him in 3 weeks.

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
We hunted with Ryan last year. Great fishing and a good hunt. We filtered with a bag type filter at camp and had life straw and sawyer filters. We had hippies and stocking foot waders and could cross the river every 1/4-1/2 mile but the water was a little low I think. A tarp to shield your meat from the sun is handy. We laid our meet on the willow brush for circulation.
We are moose hunting with him in 3 weeks.

Nontyp

FNG
Very limited selection. Grab that in Fairbanks. Are you getting camp gear through the guy he uses? If so we had a few of the mid size canisters that were in that camp gear

Last edited: