Dropped the Hammer on Kifaru Sawtooth

I think the tipis are cool because of the shape. They shed wind better in my opinion.

Maybe Patrick can comment, but I'm pretty sure the sawtooth was invented after he got tired of crawling into the super tarp. He used the super tarp solo a lot. The sawtooth is similar in shape to the super but with an enclosed front and walk in room.

The sawtooth by no means replaces the 4 man. But is just another tool in the tool belt of shelters you can have.
fair enough. you have alot more experience with these shelters than i do

WKR
SHTF, What options if any did you select? Great looking shelter. Also, what is the weight without stove for the basic Sawtooth without any liners?

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered just the Sawtooth no options . The sawtooth weighs just under 5 lbs with pole and stakes. According to the website

WKR
Thanks. Saw one of these in the West Elks a year or two ago. Way bigger than I thought they were.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah the peak dwarfs the 4 man tipi by about 6 inches. Ive seen them out at the Rondy last 2 years but never got a chance to go up and check it out up close because people where staying in them and didnt want to be weird =-). Well Im a bit weird to begin with but you know what I mean. I wouldnt want someone just rolling up on my tarp and staring....... Wait I feel this way about my woman too. ohh heck no..... :p

slim9300

WKR
Will a set of aluminum trekking poles with a PVC coupler be at a disadvantage in the wind? Anyone run this setup? What's the weight savings?

Will a set of aluminum trekking poles with a PVC coupler be at a disadvantage in the wind? Anyone run this setup? What's the weight savings?

you could run a trekking pole at the rear for multi purpose weight savings but not the front pole. the factory pole is burly.
you could save weight by using a carbon pole, like seekoutside sells, but i believe aron or patrick said its not recommended. which im guessing means its probably ok but it might break if wind gusts up to 50mph and it breaks then, well, we told you so... haha

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Steve what is that Green Tipi in the back ground?

That would be Becca and my Nemo Pentalite 5 with the Becca installed stove jack. :D

Congrats on the Sawtooth and I call dibs on when you go to sell it!!! :)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
When its warn out and patched up and streteched and zippers come undone and the peak has been poked through.... I will ship it your way Luke =-P They make that Nemo anymore Luke?

Sawtooth comes with MSR Groundhogs now, no more Durabreak pegs. :)

The canopy by itself weighs 2-1/2 pounds. Some guys are ditching the front pole and just cutting a stick at the camp site and either using a trekking pole for the back or none at all.

The front pole weighs 19 ounces and the back weighs 3.75.

The main pole has 4-1/2 inches of adjustment in it so you can make it taller if you want. On the lowest setting I can stand up in it, I'm 6'1".

If you face the front of the tent, the stove jack is right next to the main pole in the front right panel.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Honestly not sure if they make the Nemo anymore!

Been busy playing outside much the past couple months haven't been "keeping tabs" on things as much as I usually do during the winter. In fact haven't even been on here as much.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Sawtooth comes with MSR Groundhogs now, no more Durabreak pegs. :)

The canopy by itself weighs 2-1/2 pounds. Some guys are ditching the front pole and just cutting a stick at the camp site and either using a trekking pole for the back or none at all.

The front pole weighs 19 ounces and the back weighs 3.75.

The main pole has 4-1/2 inches of adjustment in it so you can make it taller if you want. On the lowest setting I can stand up in it, I'm 6'1".

If you face the front of the tent, the stove jack is right next to the main pole in the front right panel.

Thanks EH. Great stats. Looks like I will be backpacking more with the Sawtooth then I originally thought.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got my shipping notice on my Sawtooth. Super excited. Take your Bets!!!! love seeing you guys loose money =)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
haha Shrek my work schedule doesnt afford me the time to make it up that way. Kifaru is open exactly during my work hours. And I save a bit of money if they ship it as the tax rate they are at in that county is kind of high. So shipping is cheaper.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ohh boy Time to setup and Seam seal it. Kid in a Candy Store.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just researched the seam sealing. Saw how Patrick did it but then saw the guys doing the seam sealing with using the masking tape so you can get a good line on the seams. I think I may do it like that tomorrow. Looks pro when its done and not all messy with brush marks. Should last a long time too. Here is the technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zh3L_yX_8&hd=1

Love the way that looks. Also didnt know to cut it with the mineral Spirits so was good thing I checked that out on the Kifaru channel.