Dry ice questions

paxamus

WKR
Going on my first cow elk hunt in one week and will be driving from New Mexico to Alabama with the meat (hopefully). Question is if I use dry ice, do I need to vent the coolers by leaving the plugs open or the top cracked or anything? Just want to make sure I don’t screw up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The less air to get to your dry ice, the better. It evaporates when air hits it, and the off-gassing will displace the oxygen in your vehicle. I drive from Chama to New Orleans every year with my processed Elk and dry ice in ice chests inside my vehicle. After placing the frozen meat in the ice chest, I put about 30 pounds of dry ice in each of three 100 quart ice chests. I put a layer of news paper and towels over the top of the ice, then seal the ice chests with duct tape. I do this the day before we leave, and it takes us two days to drive home (we stop about halfway to spend the night in a hotel). After three days, the meat is always frozen solid, and still have some dry ice remaining in the ice chest. If you have the ice chests inside the vehicle with you, open a window and get fresh air if you start to feel lightheaded. If you use the a/c, don't use the recirculating air mode, use the outside air mode.

So, short answer- don't vent the ice chest and make sure the plugs are closed.

Last edited: