DSLR or mirror less or camcorder??? Help!!!

Looking for a setup as a “do it all”. My wife and I hunt quite a bit and travel as well and I’m trying to decide on a cameras that will allow us to do both. At the moment I’m looking at a canon xa11 for a camcorder but starting to think more about DSLR cameras for still photography since we take a lot of photos when on vacation. We typically hunt out of a blind when she is hunting. I hunt from blinds and tree stands as well as an annual trip to Colorado chasing elk.

I’m not very tech savvy so any insight and advise would be greatly appreciated. Either camera would be set up on a tripod and fluid head 90% of the time for film. Otherwise had held for 90% of photos.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely go DSLR vs camcorder - but check out the newer mirrorless cameras being released by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic etc., some are better for video while others are more focused on still pictures. The mirrorless cameras are nicer since both the camera and lenses are smaller, but the image quality is just as good. I’ve just sold off all my Canon DSLR gear and will be moving that direction myself - also, the rumor mill is that the DSLR cameras will slowly become obsolete in favor of the mirrorless technology.

Check out some of the mirrorless options if your thinking DSLR route. Smaller, lighter, they take just as good of photos with better video capabilities, 4K. The Sony A series cameras are really popular. If your gonna use a tripod probably could look at A6300, won’t need built-in image stabilization of the A6500.

I agree with a camera over camcorder, also Mirrorless is the way to go. Dsler's will be around for a while but mirrorless are smaller, have the latest technology, focus quicker and is the better option

Give me a call to discuss what would be best for your needs

Camera Land
516-217-1000

jeepfan

FNG
Whatever you do don't get an XA11. Whatever you get make sure it is 4k. I have both 4k camcorder and mirrorless. I use the camcorder in the treestand and turkey blind tripod because I am almost always by myself and I can use a remote control with it for one hand, fluid head handle, operation for turning it on, zooming, recording and even focusing. There is no DSLR/mirrorless that can do all those things with a remote. The Sony mirrorless cameras can do almost as much as long as you have a powerzoom lens.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a setup as a “do it all”. My wife and I hunt quite a bit and travel as well and I’m trying to decide on a cameras that will allow us to do both. At the moment I’m looking at a canon xa11 for a camcorder but starting to think more about DSLR cameras for still photography since we take a lot of photos when on vacation. We typically hunt out of a blind when she is hunting. I hunt from blinds and tree stands as well as an annual trip to Colorado chasing elk.

I’m not very tech savvy so any insight and advise would be greatly appreciated. Either camera would be set up on a tripod and fluid head 90% of the time for film. Otherwise had held for 90% of photos.

Thank you

I bought the cannon axll to film my son and I hunting. For the money and simplicity it was perfect for us.

https://youtu.be/0PCB73LLiyM

OP
ddavis_1313
Thanks for the replies. I went with the Sony A7iii. I think this will handle any and everything I need. Pairing it with a 24-105mm f4 lens with image stabilization. Throwing that on a Va5 head and the promaster 522 carbon tripod. Should he set for the next 20 years. Lol. I’ll add a few lenses over time but I should be good to go.

jeepfan

FNG
Excellent choice. If you pick up a power zoom lens then you could benefit from this remote control if you find yourself in a treestand situation.