Dual density bag/quilt?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So later in the summer I may make a quilt or sleeping bag, my 0deg 650fill down bag is generally overkill for what I'd need most of the fall and also is bulkier/heavier than needed. I'm not quite ready for the quilt plunge but was considering a dual density semi-rectangular bag using apex climashield. Two configurations come to mind. Not sure if I'd do a sewn footbox or cinched footbox at this point. Thoughts on these? They are both overkill if you KNOW it'll never get that cold but fall in the mountains can swing around so I was thinking this might be a nice compromise for variation in a bag (versus purely a quilt).

First one you just flip the bag over to switch between, if just draped like a blanket then the insulation would be inconsistent but if its used as a blanket its likely not that cold to really be concerned about it.

Second configuration would be more uniform on top as a blanket (warmer on the sides) and then flipped over with a center zip top when needed to get all the warmth out of the bag.

Theoretically these might weight ~2lb based on the oz/sqyd of the fabric and a couple ounces for a zipper. I'm sure odds and ends will bump it some.

00D4617E-CCBB-48A8-AD6E-C2D8A1315E63_zpskssstuup.jpg

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For a true quilt sure. I am more going for a hoodless sleeping bag with reduced backside insulation with this. I was thinking the layout with the zipper on the side likely makes the most sense for me because if the cold mode was center zip then any venting done would tend to really let in a draft which might be hard to control.

LBFowler

WKR
I don't think its a bad concept, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Probably not all that hard to make, but I would just rather have one quilt/bag that was a little more then needed and vent as necessary.
I vote cinched foot, super easy and pretty hard to screw up. I did a super ghetto job on my CS quilt's foot area and it doesn't really seem to draft.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One minor perk is it would use 3yd of 72" wide apex nicely. ;)

I was sorta drifting in my head to just a sewn footbox and the ~60/40 type split. More pondering, thanks for the input.