Quilt/bag choice when wearing down jacket/pants

I am looking at the idea of buying down pants but kept thinking about the % of time I will wear them but if I slept in them I wouldn't worry about getting my value out of them.

I can't use my current bag with down pants as I'd be too hot. I run hot and down to the 20s I wont have issues with my 15degree bag + my puffy on top and light base layer or boxers for bottoms.

Could I ditch the 3lb bag and go for a 15degree quilt w/ the Grumman top/bottom and expect similar results?

Does anyone do this? Anything to consider which wasn't apparent prior to trying it out?

Quilt recommendations? Looking at thermarest options currently.

Thanks

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
While I don't have identical experience, I've used a similar setup in winter (down parka, pants, and booties with lighter bag). Definitely works. I found I prefer the safety margin and comfort of a warmer bag and went back to that setup, even though it cost me weight-wise. (I never had issues keeping my bag dry, but always has a spot of worry about my down parka or pants getting wet through use, then sleeping in wet down.)

For a quilt, I use an Enlightened Equipment Revelation for cold weather hammock camping and it is toasty and light. Also, check out Hammockgear.com's Burrow. Both would be gtg for ground camping, and you can order overfill, other customizations.

*zap*

WKR
If you purchase down pants you need to ditch your sleeping bag for a quilt. Sounds complicated. I prefer sleep in base layers and I often use my sleeping bag as a quilt. Go for it.

drew12

FNG
Sleeping hot and adding down pants? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Spend more on a warm pad and get a higher degree (less expensive) quilt - and you're still gonna be toasty!

I do this quite often in our later seasons, but I do it with synthetics, not down or merino. I am started by using an EE convert 30 degree quilt and layer with booties, puffy pants and a jacket. Now I use a 20 degree SD backcountry bed, which I really enjoy. I will suggest that you go a size bigger if you do this so you can ”fit” in your setup and have room to allow for air flow so you can actual stay warm. I generally sleep on a cot with an air mat so that also helps.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
I use enlightened equipment enigma 20 deg quilt. Depending on the temps either sleep in boxers, base layer, or puffy's. Kuiu base layer 120, SG Grumman puffys. My pad also varies based on temp but either therma rest x therm or lite. If it gets really cold ill add the reactor bag liner... this set up has had me sleeping comfy at 0