Duck camo

What do you guys use? I mainly use army surplus, I like how light it is. Seems like everything at cabelas is too dark for hunting frag in the marshes in utah. Sitkas marsh camo looks really good but too expensive

Wheels

WKR
Watch for post season sales and invest in some good camo clothing, I personally use Sitka outerwear for duck hunting, they have put a lot of research into their clothing and it will last a long time if you take care of it.

KurtR

WKR
I wear sitka now used to use what ever i could afford. biggest thing is dont be pie facing the birds when they are working

Lamont22

FNG
I wear sitka now used to use what ever i could afford. biggest thing is dont be pie facing the birds when they are working
I’ve found that to be the biggest difference in getting birds to finish. I always wear a full face mask and keep still while they are swinging around the front. They really seem to be able to key in on an uncovered face.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a variety of camo and don't get to hung up on brands, patterns etc. I certainly haven't spend much $$$ on my waterflowl camo and wear the same old stuff every year. Whatever you wear, make sure it's fabric/finish is dull and doesn't reflect sunlight and generally matches the tones in your environment.

I hunted with a friend who insisted on wearing an expensive First Lite jacket and he contantly spooked birds because it had to many light colors that contrasted the surroundings and when he constantly flared birds. He would of been better off with a $15 camo walmart hoody.

I always have my camo waders on and for the top, anything from a cheap camo LS T in early season, to a run of the mill brown underarmour hoody, a water resistant camo pullover, or even my green HH impertech rain jacket when it's raining hard. I also always have glove of some sort. On my head is always a camo mask, usually an everyday camo hat but I have a dull brown carhart beanie I love to wear when its cool. Last spring I wore a $6 plain white cotton short sleeve T over a insulated jacket on oa cold snowy goose hunt. Worked just fine.

Like Lamont22 said above, watch your movement when the birds are working your setup and don't look right up at the birds. A couple weeks ago I watched a couple guys with good camo flare bird after bird because I could see them moving from across the marsh. They were set up behind a few camo burlap tarps ( clean horizontal lines) with no brushing in. They had everything they needed to have a good shoot but everything about their setup gave them away.

Last edited:

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I think that is specific to the terrain you hunt. A good shadow to sit in and max-4 or max-5 works well for me in marshes and riverboats I hunt. I like natural gear a lot, but they never have it in some of the better fabrics so I don't own much of it. I like the looks of first lite's fusion, but until the drake pieces I have in max-4 fade or wear out I don't need to spend the money on it. First lite has a new waterfowl specific camo coming out, I'll be interested in how it looks in different settings.

Wags

WKR
I wear different patterns based on where I am hunting. When I'm in the rice/corn it's lighter patterns VS when I am hunting River bottoms.

I got some kryptek off Camofire for cheap. I think the highlander pattern does well here in the Midwest. I use it for turkey hunting also.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do ASAT most of the time, or solid tans, greys, or olive drab. Also have a camo Carhardt rain defender fleece that has been good when in greener environments.

Looking to move toward Duck Camp late season wetland.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Most any camo or neutral colors will do just fine. Everything else is a fashion statement. Play the shadows, keep your head down and hold still. I definitely agree with making sure your clothing is dulled down so it’s not shining.