Dudley's Latest Rants

I won't call them rants.. His last 5 or so podcast have revolved solely around arrows and how they fly.. You can hate the guy all you want, but I guarantee that guy has forgotten more about arrows, arrow flight, arrow tech progression, and bow design than 99% of us will know. You don't have to like his hunting style but you can learn a lot from him if you bother to listen. To top it off he does a pretty good job at not eating our own.. AKA not speaking badly of other archery "influencers"

Maverick1

WKR
I won't call them rants.. His last 5 or so podcast have revolved solely around arrows and how they fly.. You can hate the guy all you want, but I guarantee that guy has forgotten more about arrows, arrow flight, arrow tech progression, and bow design than 99% of us will know. You don't have to like his hunting style but you can learn a lot from him if you bother to listen. To top it off he does a pretty good job at not eating our own.. AKA not speaking badly of other archery "influencers"
Who is Dudley? And why do you feel the need to start a thread about him/her?

fatlander

WKR
I think it’s two fold.

1.) He sees the diminishing returns and other problems associated with chasing high FOC. He wants to help people shoot the best happy medium of arrows that are optimally spined and tuned for their set ups.

And, this is a big “and” in my opinion.

2.) Easton, who cuts him checks, is losing some market share to smaller companies offering the components needed to build crazy FOC telephone pole arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be a solid guy. He attends most of the TAC events and is just covered up by folks all the time and seems to be very nice about it from my observations. Ive watched several of his vids and he definitely knows his stuff.

Reactions: ZDR

MattB

WKR
The information he has compiled and provided is a great benefit to the likes of us.

From the people I have spoken with who know or have shot with him, he is not well-liked. Apparently nobody loves John Dudley more than John Dudley.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The first and last time I saw anything from John Dudley was when he was telling folks how to BH tune several years ago, while shooting his BH tipped arrows at his FP arrows.......SMH.

I give the guy a lot of credit. He is one of a handful of guys that allowed me to quickly progress my shooting and bow tech abilities on my own over the years.

Everything he says doesn't have to be gospel, but it sure is a good reference point to compare to other resources.

He's up there with the guys who have been there and done it, ie: nuts&bolts, mfjj, Gillingham. All have done so much for the sport in free education. and a wealth of technical info you can beg barrow and steal from to make your own decisions.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The information he has compiled and provided is a great benefit to the likes of us.

From the people I have spoken with who know or have shot with him, he is not well-liked. Apparently nobody loves John Dudley more than John Dudley.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time with John. At events and privately. He is the best ambassador there is in bowhunting and I’ve seen him do things with bows that make my jaw drop. His bow, your bow, stickbow, left handed stickbow, you name it. He is an excellent teacher and I do believe he is genuine in his promotion of archery and bowhunting. Not himself; he talks very little of his accomplishments, which are very very impressive in the bowhunting arena.

Someone who has a problem with Dudley might just be a little jealous…

So from my first hand experience, I will call your second had experience suspect.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve listened to most of the arrow podcasts and found them great to help people realize a bunch of little things may not matter, that some experts selling stuff truly aren’t, just build good reasonable arrows and focus on shooting and form

Reactions: ZDR
I've really enjoyed a lot of his latest content, and applaud him for getting on a bunch of guests (including Troy Fowler) to build a good archive of podcasts that people can reference in the future about this stuff. I come from a trad background so heavy arrows are what I tend to lean towards but over the last month I've been thinking more about trying to get some more speed out of my setup for the sake of getting a slightly better trajectory.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I like the gentleman, myself.
Yea me too! Of all the hunting personalities out there, he seems to be one of the most genuine; at least in my opinion. I think he means it when he says that his passion is helping others in their archery journey. Not all of his methods work for me, but I’m major Dudley supporter and that’s mainly because of his character.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I like John Dudley. Never met him in person, but strikes me as a humble guy.

I would place him somewhere near the top of the list with regards to expertise in Archery.

Yoder

WKR
Just look at his resume. He's won just about everything in archery including Olympic medals. There is no questioning his ability and knowledge. People just hate him for his friendship with the great Joe Rogan. Why? I don't know.