Dump my ruger m77 Mark II .270 for a Montana Rifle X3 6.5c?

txaggie76

FNG
Howdy all!

I’m new to the forum but I own a stainless .270 ruger that I’ve had for 20 plus years and maybe shot 10 times.

I’m thinking about dumping this for a Montana Rifle Co X3 6.5 creedmore. What do y’all think of this gun and round compared to the ruger?

Attachments

• IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 80
OP
T

txaggie76

FNG
The rifle you have is a great one. Did it shoot well the 10 times you shot it?
I honestly don’t remember. I put the zeiss on it and got a smith to work the trigger to 2lbs and I put it up.

wnelson14

WKR
Keep that bad boy and if you want to upgrade it send it to Shaw barrels and wait for Stockys to make a stock for it.

I would NOT do that. The Montana X3s had some QC issues and you won't be able to get manufacturer support for it if it has issues. You have to ask yourself why the one you are looking at is available. There's no practical difference between a 270 and a 6.5 Creed in terms of results on game.

OP
T

txaggie76

FNG
I would NOT do that. The Montana X3s had some QC issues and you won't be able to get manufacturer support for it if it has issues. You have to ask yourself why the one you are looking at is available. There's no practical difference between a 270 and a 6.5 Creed in terms of results on game.
Thank you!

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Keep the M77. It’s paid for and is a keeper. It probably shoots better than most anyway. If you “dump” it as you say for the Montana or something else you just got an itch for because you think it is better or cooler, then I suspect you’ll someday regret that decision. Just keep it & then go buy the next rifle. Plus, Sturm, Ruger & Co. will still be there in the future when the small semi custom rifle maker wont because they got bought by some other niche company that won’t offer you any retroactive customer service or product support. I dislike buzz words, but “been there, done that”. (…but I kept my old 1991 M77 MkII ! 👍)

OP
T

txaggie76

FNG
Eeeesh, I just came across this Cooper Arms 52 in 7mag for a smoking deal ($1500).

I think this .270 will be hitting the sale block for it.

Are there any cooper arms 52 owners out there?

Attachments

• IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't trade that .270 for an unknown rifle in a 7mm or 6.5 cartridge.
While the 7mm rem mag is my favorite all around NA big game cartridge its only advantage over a .270 is being the legal minimum for bison in some areas that don't have a .30 caliber minimum. Other than that the 2 are more similar than different.

OP
T

txaggie76

FNG
I wouldn't trade that .270 for an unknown rifle in a 7mm or 6.5 cartridge.
While the 7mm rem mag is my favorite all around NA big game cartridge its only advantage over a .270 is being the legal minimum for bison in some areas that don't have a .30 caliber minimum. Other than that the 2 are more similar than different.
Thank you. Do you think copper arms is that unknown? They seem pretty legit and extremely well made.

wyogoat

WKR
I think everyone is pushing you to stay with what you have. I would. If I had that rifle I doubt I’d consider anything else. They generally shot well and the .270 is an excellent cartridge.
If you’re looking for a new rifle just because then I get that but I doubt it will be more effective than what you have already in hand and scoped.

wyogoat

WKR
The Coopers are great. I think moving to the 7 Mag aspect is where you’ll see the least support from this site…

SDHNTR

WKR
Why? Just to scratch an itch? Sounds like you don’t even know the potential of the Ruger. Methinks you need to shoot it a lot more before deciding to sell. NEVER sell an accurate rifle. They are special. And you don’t even know yet if it’s accurate or not.

WKR
That Ruger is beautiful. I sure wouldn't give up on a piece that nice, especially if I didn't even know how it shot. Post in here when it hits the classifieds!