"DUNAMIS"

ENCORE

WKR
"DUNAMIS"...… inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature.

My new custom .45cal rifle was built by Bestill Creations LLC on a Remington 700 S/A single shot.

McMillan Game Warden stock, McWoody finish
Bedded action
Bedded mount w/#8
.250 recoil lug
AGS Gen2 breech plug w/modules
Rock Creek 1:19 twist, large varmint contour, proprietary to Bestill Creations
LR Customs … T-Rex CSTM muzzle brake
Jewell trigger
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Capable of large charges of BH209 and/or smokeless propellants

IMG_1693.JPG

20190620_183313.jpg

20190620_183236.jpg

After setting the scope, a new target was posted and 5 rounds sent. Range: 107yds, wind 10-15 from NW.

IMG_1699.JPG

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
Looks great Encore. What do you consider a "large charge" of BH209?

WARNING...…..…………….. THE INFORMATION FOLLOWING …. DOES NOT..... AND SHOULD … NEVER... BE ASSOCIATED WITH PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!

All charges I shoot are over 100grs by WEIGHT of BH209, or > 143grs volume ….. custom barrel.

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
Family has been visiting, rain, commitments and such, oh, did I mention rain? Maybe next week I can stretch DUNAMIS out at the club.
BIL wanted to shoot it a couple times the other day. He hunts but doesn't shoot a lot. His first two rounds made a single hole at 107yds, then he let it open to an inch.

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
Made it to the club for the first time at long range and hung targets at 2-3-4 and 500yds. Only shooter on the range at the time which was nice.
First 3 rounds at 200 made a single enlarged hole. All other yardages were MOA or less, except I hadn't shot at the 500yd target yet.
I sent the first round and started loading the second, when the trucks with shooters started rolling in. I finished loading, then a guy with his son took the bench next to me. I had finished loading so we chatted a little and I told him I would only send one more and be done, and that he didn't want me shooting next to them with the brake. He didn't think it would bother them, but I knew different. So the five new arrivals let me shoot my second round at 500, then I pulled targets while they hung theirs.
When everyone returned back to the benches and I started packing up, they wanted to see the 500yd target, shot with a muzzleloader.
Better than I thought with 275gr bullets. I've sized up some 300's for the next trip.

IMG_1706.JPG

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
I don't like shooting target over the chronograph, just to much to make sure is always correct and that I'm not going to hit or damage the chronograph. This morning though, I did send 5 of the Fury star tip2, 300gr bullets over the chronograph and into a target. Came out with an average of 2361fps, now on to JBM for long range settings.

FST2 300gr.JPG

300 Fury star tip2 and BH.JPG

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
That is Sizzling right along for a 300 Grain Bullet 👍

Are you stil using your Caldwell Chrono? If so, How are you liking it? I need to break down and Buy another unit, This Competition Electronics Pro Chrono is a PIECE OF JUNK! I believe it gives accurate readings, at least the numbers are what you would expect, But when i turn this thing off, and then back on later to Review the Data, Sometimes it will have TOTALLY CHANGED the Numbers somehow?? I have a Video of it.

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
Yup, still using the same one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTN5290/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about lighting and such. Connects to my phone or tablet and I can save, send, or print the data. I've yet to have to replace batteries in either the chronograph or lights. However I carry extra for when they need replacement. I did make a plexiglass shield for it. So far its worked very well and I have no complaints.
No complaints? Well it isn't a LabRadar, but us retired old retired guys will get by :)

Fury has those BC's right dead on. When I shot the 275's at the club after checking the velocity here at home, I just plugged the data into JBM and printed out the sheet. From 200 to 500 it was DEAD ON. Never wasted a bullet at the club, nor made any additional adjustment.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
My Steel Leupold Mark 4 Medium Rings Worked out perfect, I’ve got a Country mile of clearance here ;) This is exactly what i was hoping for.

I will get better pictures soon, But you can see my clearance here. I will end up Needing Med/Highs for a 40 MOA Base, And not sure that Leupold even Offers a Med/High in these 30MM Steel Mark 4s? If not, i will get a set of Highs. It might not look it here, but even the Supplied Scope covers fit over this objective end, They just clear without touching, Again, EXACTLY what i wanted/Hoped for when i went with the Mediums, it’s a DARN good thing they didn’t have Lows or I would have went with them, and obviously would of been sending them Back. Now to go Burn some powder!

Rifle is Kanted to the Right in this Cheap Little Cleaning Cradle due to the Thumbhole Stock, But you get the Picture 👍

elkguide

WKR
I don't like shooting target over the chronograph, just to much to make sure is always correct and that I'm not going to hit or damage the chronograph. This morning though, I did send 5 of the Fury star tip2, 300gr bullets over the chronograph and into a target. Came out with an average of 2361fps, now on to JBM for long range settings.

View attachment 109210

View attachment 109211

Looks like you've got a real winner there!

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
Bestill Creations makes some beautiful muzzleloaders and you know they're going to shoot. Yours is obviously no exception. Do you plan to run smokeless out of it or are you sticking with BH?

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
Bestill Creations makes some beautiful muzzleloaders and you know they're going to shoot. Yours is obviously no exception. Do you plan to run smokeless out of it or are you sticking with BH?
It should shine with smokeless and I just ordered the hardened modules today.
I'll say this though, no matter who builds the rifle, if you're shooting land riders and one goes in like all the others then stops 1/2 way down, don't attempt to push it down any further. Push it out. Lesson learning.....

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
It should shine with smokeless and I just ordered the hardened modules today.
I'll say this though, no matter who builds the rifle, if you're shooting land riders and one goes in like all the others then stops 1/2 way down, don't attempt to push it down any further. Push it out. Lesson learning.....

I had one get really tight when I was figuring out my sizing die. Luckily, I was able to get it out without too much effort. I love that stock. I was planning on switching my stock out for a manners next year but may change my mind now. That McWoody finish is pretty on a muzzleloader.

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
I had one get really tight when I was figuring out my sizing die. Luckily, I was able to get it out without too much effort. I love that stock. I was planning on switching my stock out for a manners next year but may change my mind now. That McWoody finish is pretty on a muzzleloader.

I have one stuck that won't come out. Started just like any other bullet with a loading force of 19#. It got 14" down the barrel with one hand and stopped dead (?). I put a "T" handle on the rod and tried to push the bullet down to seat it. BAD mistake. It won't come out the muzzle using a 7/16" aluminum rod either.

I have a breech plug with a grease zert coming Thursday to hydraulically push it out.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
I have one stuck that won't come out. Started just like any other bullet with a loading force of 19#. It got 14" down the barrel with one hand and stopped dead (?). I put a "T" handle on the rod and tried to push the bullet down to seat it. BAD mistake. It won't come out the muzzle using a 7/16" aluminum rod either.

I have a breech plug with a grease zert coming Thursday to hydraulically push it out.

That's nuts. The really crazy part is that it started normal and then stopped at 14". Hopefully that breech with the zert does the trick and there is no barrel damage. Did Jeff make you the zert breech?

OP
ENCORE

ENCORE

WKR
That's nuts. The really crazy part is that it started normal and then stopped at 14". Hopefully that breech with the zert does the trick and there is no barrel damage. Did Jeff make you the zert breech?
Yes, Jeff made it. He's pretty perplexed at why the bullet stuck. It is a softer bullet, so me trying to seat it when it stopped just wedged it in tighter. Then trying to knock it out the muzzle just made it tighter yet. I highly doubt there's any barrel damage, that steel is much harder than that jacket and soft lead.
The grease gun will push it out without any problem. Jeff says that a common grease gun is used to tighten tracks on bull dozers and excavators. If you think about it, a little hydraulic jack you can lift with one hand will lift a truck.
Had I been shooting smokeless, then we know what would have caused it to stick. However shooting just BH for the time being, its making everyone wonder. Maybe...….. when the bullet was sized something different happened????

Here's what it looks like from the breech. Used the endoscope to take the photo. Lots of reflection in there and also a couple grains of propellant and dirt I can't push out with the stuck bullet. Jeff has seen this same photo and we believe the bullet base has aluminum from the rod stuck in it.

Its coming out one way or another, but Jeff is very confident the grease is going to pop that right out. Speaking of "popping", I'll put a plastic bag over the muzzle just incase it "pops". Yup, I'll have a mess to clean up afterwards but, a lesson learned. ….. Its my intent to try and video the process of removing it with the grease gun, even though I'm no where near qualified to video LOL

stuck at breech end.JPG

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
When I mentioned barrel damage I wasn't thinking because of the bullet. I was just thinking maybe there was damage before hand that could have caused the bullet to wedge. I just would expect a soft bullet like that to become completely stuck. If anything, I could see one of the Parker Match Hunters or something along those lines. I'd be interested in seeing that video then. Do you use a SpinJag?