Durability of Leica CRF series rangefinders?

Fritz D

FNG
I’m interested in a new rangefinder. Had a very good experience with the old LRF ? 1200 years ago but I’m not well-versed in the newer technology? I’m undecided whether I want something with the ability to link with a phone app or a Kestrel.

I like the looks of the Leica but have a friend that works for a gun shop in BC that swears up and down that the Leicas are totally unreliable, with a piss-poor warranty to boot and is strongly steering me towards a Vortex Viper/Razor series or one of the Sig Kilo offerings?

Problem is, I can’t find anything online that suggests the Leica CRF is anything but a reliable, quality unit? Now I have read some things about Leicas warranty and CS not being great but as far as long-term reliability goes, nothing.

Would really appreciate any Leica users relating their experience with the CRF 2400, 2800, or 3500 series?

Thanks in advance.

LaHunter

WKR
I don't know about the newer ones, but I have a Leica 1600 that I have been totally happy with. It has been very reliable and the glass in the Leica laser range finders is probably better than anything else in the class of compact range finders. I have only had one interaction with Leica CS, and they were great to work with, but that was several years ago. In a hunting situation, I don't think I want to be depending on a bluetooth connection to get my firing solution, so I am not too interested in the new models that pair with other devices.

My Leica CRFs have been pretty bulletproof. They also worked in misty environments where others simply wouldn’t. It would take a lot for me to move to another brand. Currently running a 3500 and love it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had my CRF 900 since 2007 and it's been flawless. Can't say the same about my Sig Kilo 2000 that completely crapped out a couple months ago.

I had a crf 900 for several years. Used it hard with zero issues. Sold it to get a crf2400 with angle compensation. I'm 3 years into the 2400 and it has been flawless.
I have zero interest in ever changing from leica rangefinders.

Axlrod

WKR
Between me and my son we have a crf 1600 and a crf 2000. Have had zero issues with either.
Also have friends that have crf 900/2000/2400/2800 no issues.

swampfox

FNG
I’ve had the CRF 2400 for about three years now and no complaints. It’s worked flawlessly so far.

manitou1

WKR
My Leica 2400 gets used hard... antelope, elk, mulies and whitetail every year. At the range also.
It reads through the fog and snow better than my Sig and Nikons ever did.
No complaints whatsoever. Have used it for going on 5 years now.
I would not hesitate buy another Leica CRF if I lost this one.

I have never heard of durability issues with these.

They aren’t vectronix tough, but they are reliable units. I haven’t heard of a major issue with them since the CRF 1600’s first came out as the compact model almost a decade ago, they had some issues with those that they worked out.

Any LRF aside from a vectronix is a more delicate piece of gear and should be treated as such. It’s not hard to knock the laser off on almost all of them. Just keep it in a padded soft case when you’re not using it and treat it with decency and it will be ok. If you want something you can beat the shit out of then spend $10K on a PLRF25.

Leicas LRF performance is excellent for the price though, IMO the CRF’s are the go to entry level LRF. I wouldn’t buy anything less. They are far better than any of the Vortex LRF’s. I have also broken a few sig kilos, those things are fragile IMO and sigs warranty sucks ass.

OP
F

Fritz D

FNG
Finally pulled the trigger on a new Leica CRF 2400. Eurooptic has ‘em on sale for 468 dollars- I couldn’t resist.
Looking forward to having another LRF..it’s been awhile?
Thanks again for the help.