Durston X-Mid 1

all good points but stratospire ultra is 1” wider and 5 oz lighter. Plus sail cloth is a much more advanced fabric with waterproof properties off the chart. Although more expensive. Both great options.
Have you actually had that shelter in hand and used, or just comparing specs. Not much field experience with Ultra as a fabric yet, so not much weight can be put in specs. Ultra as a pack fabric abrades just as easy as cordura.

Have you actually had that shelter in hand and used, or just comparing specs. Not much field experience with Ultra as a fabric yet, so not much weight can be put in specs. Ultra as a pack fabric abrades just as easy as cordura.
Used regular stratospire 1 and 2 extensively. Correct ultra and mid just comparing specs. Packs and tents are vastly different. Yes I would think ultra wouldn’t be as good a pack fabric.

rclouse79

WKR
I just ordered one last night and am pumped! The vents and no sag material sold me on it.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Other thing to compare with footprints is wall slope and how that area carries up from the floor vertically. Slingfin likes to talk about “volume” - or usable area rather than footprints alone.

The new stratospire looks nice, but the lower angle sidewalls negate some of the extra “inches” from the way the dimensional layout appears.

CAM_D

FNG
These are amazing tents. I have a nearly new Xmid 2, and then when they launched the 2+ Pro last week I jumped on it and ordered one.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
The x-mid 1 and 2 have been pretty much on top of my list since getting back into outdoors stuff. The combination of size, weight, and features just ticks all of the boxes for me. Sub-10-year-olds will probably sneak into my tent anyway if given their own so I figure the 2P would at least give me room to hide on one side of the tent away from them.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
How do these hold up in a bad wind, I mean pretty bad ????
I've had mine in what I'd consider windy conditions and it's not as aerodynamic as something like a tipi, but it held up. That being said it is a staked/guyed structure, so that's your limiting factor.

OP
Carrot Farmer

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
How do these hold up in a bad wind, I mean pretty bad ????

Had 25 mph sustained winds.

Put rocks on top of stakes and cinched outer wall down low to ground to help eliminate wind getting under it and setting it flying like a kite. All performed well
906b7a739d6a7d31c118a3bfcaa6894c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I am talking about winds in the vicinity of 80ks an hour, which can occur quiet regularly in the OZ high country. I might need to look at something different. The lightness of these and similar shelters is great but still not sure of their continued reliability in severe stuff.

OP
Carrot Farmer

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for that. I am talking about winds in the vicinity of 80ks an hour, which can occur quiet regularly in the OZ high country. I might need to look at something different. The lightness of these and similar shelters is great but still not sure of their continued reliability in severe stuff.

Ummm yeah…. I’d take my Hilleburg Nallo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I am really looking at these. I might do a desert hike soon and high winds are always a problem. Is the solid necessary? In my other big tents I do not like a lot of mesh. Too much mesh in the desert means blown sand inside. Just debating if the solid will serve my needs better