E - Scouting - is grazing something to think about?

cshire

FNG
So I got a cow elk tag in the WY leftover draw and am now doing my map research and e-scouting.
Most of the public is NF, found 4+ trailheads that look like they lead to good areas, but will have to watch the GPS to make sure I stay on the correct side of wilderness boundaries.

So I google grazing permits and maps for the area. Forest Service has all the info available - nice.
Grazing permit details show end dates for the permit - some in September, some as late as October 15.
Hunt starts October 1 in this area.

I assume I want to stay away from active grazing to find elk?
Grazing areas empty of livestock since September will be better than areas with more recent or still active grazing?
Or do the elk go where they want and don't care about cattle? Elk in dark timber and cattle on the meadow?

Some areas are permitted for sheep grazing. I have heard that elk hate sheep areas and will stay away?

Any good strategy here or am I just overthinking it and should go where the habitat looks good, have a plan A, B, C, etc. Elk are whre the elk are and all that.

Elk don’t care about cattle.

Sheep are different because they have sheepherders and dogs with them. They are much more intrusive than cattle, who graze quietly on their own.

But ask yourself this, if you were an elk and a flock of sheep came through where would you go? You don’t have to move to the next county. Just go a couple ridges or a couple drainages over. You might find really good hunting because they were already elk there and now there are even more.

It’s a good example of how to adapt instead of giving up on something when elk hunting. The elk are still around. Go find them.

Went on my first elk hunt last year on a leftover cow hunt. I had 500 questions going into it...it boiled down to driving and glassing for tracks and then finding critters from there. Don't overthink it. Get out and enjoy the scenery and meet some great people at the same time.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Went on my first elk hunt last year on a leftover cow hunt. I had 500 questions going into it...it boiled down to driving and glassing for tracks and then finding critters from there. Don't overthink it. Get out and enjoy the scenery and meet some great people at the same time.
Second this. I'm from wyo and they eat wherever they can late season. Drive and put footwork in. Once you find one they should be plenty. If it's a late season tag I'm thinking it is. Lots of hunters pushing them around if it's easy pickings.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Thanks guys.
Not late season, opens October 1
Can’t go all the way high as that is designated wilderness and off limits to me.
The non wilderness public has grazing permits - won’t over think it and see what we see in October

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
When they show up to pick up the cattle there will be a lot of traffic.

I usually take white foam block as an archery target. (They are free and I can throw them away before I head home to save some space) Well cows think they look like salt blocks, so they hung out in my camp and crapped everywhere! They also knocked stuff over in camp. Just a PITA but don’t really mess with the elk unless it’s a really dry area IMO.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Just leaving an elk hunt in SW Colorado where cattle were high in NF (9k-11kft) and elk were non-existent in the area. Talked to a few outfitters and they believe the recent heatwave/drought caused ranchers to move cattle higher than normal, which pushed the elk into the neighboring unit (not an OTC unit) and lower elevation private land which had a bumper acorn crop this year. Much sooner than the normal elk migration timing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Imo unless you have boots on the ground or know the area you won't know until you arrive. If one fence has a lot more grass in density and height and the other side is barren, good sign of grazing especially with cow pies around.

Onx should be able to give you a clue as to what kind of land is nearby ie "cattle creek ranch" "x ranch" etc.

Winged it everytime and you'll get on them

tdhanses

WKR
Cattle have replaced Buffalo on grazing the west, it’s actually good for elk habitat so don’t worry about cattle, sheep on the other hand will graze to the dirt and I’d stay away from where they graze.

There was reseach in sw Montana in the 90s that showed the areas that were grazed by cattle early drew more elk later in the season for the tender emerging vegetation. If the area is parched and baked likely not so much. Our sept rains usually make the differance.

The other differance is where the cows are and where they were. I don't see many elk where the cows are but within a week of the cattle exodus, the elk move in. Where the cattle are may just effect the elk by moving them just in the next pasture or over the ridge.

Depends, some areas in CO are severely overgrazed (including allotments within some wilderness areas), and grazer competition does impact elk habitat use. But it would be difficult to tell from grazing allotment maps which areas elk are avoiding. When I see cow number 100 in prime elk feeding areas, and no elk or new sign yet, I get moving to a new area.