E-Scouting Master Class from Treeline Pursuits ***Updated 7/6/20***

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very excited to go through this course and pick up some e-scouting strategies. How to scout online is probably one of the most asked questions when it comes to western hunting. This will be a semi-live review thread as I dig into the course.

***Update 7/6/20*** Full review is live here.

“As elk hunters, we are on a continual search for knowledge to help elevate our elk hunting skill set, and even more importantly, tactics that will help us find more elk. Welcome to The Treeline Academy “E-Scouting MasterClass.”

This MasterClass is a complete and comprehensive E-Scouting solution. I designed this curriculum for both the beginner and the experienced public land, DIY elk hunters. This course is a first-of-it’s-kind, and is powered by more than 30 years of elk hunting experience.

I spent the first two decades of my elk-hunting career traveling from Missouri to the western states. Planning elk hunts from the Midwest was challenging and certainly still is. This is true regardless of if you are traveling great distances to hunt or if you call one of the western states your home. This experience is the driving force behind the development of this course.

Realistically, elk inhabit a relatively small portion of the western landscape, and E-Scouting is a critical component when it comes to breaking down Hunt Areas and finding locations that actually hold elk.

Over the past three decades I’ve honed and refined my elk finding system, and now it is time to finally share that system!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mark is a great explainer:) for a lack of a better term. The course is ten hours long!! Should be awesome!

step5207

FNG
Anyone have a review yet? I am looking to purchase, but I am unsure it it will be worth it.

wapitibob

WKR
I bought it, $80 for two years is pretty reasonable. I have my own ideas when it comes to e-scouting but he and I do some things pretty similar, marking pressure zones is one, but he gets way more anal than I do, having a written and detailed plan of action. He likes paper maps for some stuff, I convert and import into google earth for everything. Overall I like the way he uses the tools. If you have no experience with GE, onx, and Gaia for scouting he’ll get you going.
I didn’t buy the class to learn how to use the different tools/programs, but to see how he finds elk and compare his methods to mine. So far, I’m not all the way thru it, he’s been providing pretty good info. If you’ve been hunting elk for 30 years he covers things you knew, but like me, probably forgot a long time ago. If you’re fairly new to elk hunting and e-scouting, you’ll get decades worth of info and you can go back and refresh as needed.
Overall I thinks it’s money well spent for people wanting to get up to speed e-scouting.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just finished up with the "technical" complete run downs of Google Earth, Gaia and OnX systems. I picked up some great information on settings that I probably would've never known and have been a big help. I consider myself fairly tech savvy but Mark did a great job going explaining all of the systems in depth and I picked up some things.

Excited to dive into how he finds the elk.

I'm about 60% of the way through the course and for a guy who's never been elk hunting I've learned a TON. I'm really looking forward to putting all together in the woods and sending Mark a picture of me and my first bull, someday.

Additionally, I consider ed myself pretty versed in regards to capabilities of of e-scouting platforms (onX, GE, etc.) but I have picked up several little tips and tricks from it that have proved very helpful. Good work @Live Montana !!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm about 60% of the way through the course and for a guy who's never been elk hunting I've learned a TON. I'm really looking forward to putting all together in the woods and sending Mark a picture of me and my first bull, someday.

Additionally, I consider ed myself pretty versed in regards to capabilities of of e-scouting platforms (onX, GE, etc.) but I have picked up several little tips and tricks from it that have proved very helpful. Good work @Live Montana !!

Legit! My review is about to be published and I thought the exact same thing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How you have a "complete review" when the course material isn't complete?

The bulk of the course is there. Did you want us to wait for two years to complete the review? The cool thing about a forum is you can update it as new things come out.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How you have a "complete review" when the course material isn't complete?

There are a few videos that haven’t been uploaded yet but those modules are for very specific things. The modules that have been uploaded already make up for about 90% of the class and are what I’ve reviewed. If I thought the other 10% of the class was going to make or break whether I recommended the class then I would have waited. But fact is I’ve learned a lot in the class and I’d absolutely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The course is not 100% complete yet, but only a few specific, but very important modules remain. I'm in the middle of recording and editing now. I just posted the Beetle Kill Module this week. The Covid mess put me behind a little..... As a small thank you, the two year membership does not begin until I post the last of these remaining modules. So basically, we are on extra time for those signing up now. Then I will be going back and adding more content to some modules. Lot of that was based on some of the feedback I have gotten. I have some live Webinars coming up in July and August as we get ready for the season... I'm going to try to do two each month....

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

The course is not 100% complete yet, but only a few specific, but very important modules remain. I'm in the middle of recording and editing now. I just posted the Beetle Kill Module this week. The Covid mess put me behind a little..... As a small thank you, the two year membership does not begin until I post the last of these remaining modules. So basically, we are on extra time for those signing up now. Then I will be going back and adding more content to some modules. Lot of that was based on some of the feedback I have gotten. I have some live Webinars coming up in July and August as we get ready for the season... I'm going to try to do two each month....

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.
I can vouch for Mark's responsiveness here. I had a small issue (my fault), and he got back to me right away.

I have a question, I'm not very savvy when it comes to e-scouting (trying to get up to speed) I am planning for my first elk hunt next year (this was supposed to happen two years ago) will this walk me through the process, and will I be able to use this skill set here in the east for whitetail ?

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a question, I'm not very savvy when it comes to e-scouting (trying to get up to speed) I am planning for my first elk hunt next year (this was supposed to happen two years ago) will this walk me through the process, and will I be able to use this skill set here in the east for whitetail ?

This will walk you through the process, yes. I don't see where it wouldn't help in the east. This program is aimed heavily at the mapping systems and knowing what you are looking at, so you'll certainly be able to apply those techniques for whitetail. Use code ROKSLIDE for $20 off.