Early September - Baranof Island

I'm going on my first deer hunt in early September on Baranof Island. We're taking a float plane up to one of the lakes and are hoping to spend four days in the alpine. I've got great footwear and a pack, but looking for recommendations on pants, shirts, jackets, rain gear, etc. It looks like the temperatures typically range from mid-40s to 60s, and know I need to be prepared for torrential downpours and high winds.

Tight lines,
Jason in Dallas

My caveat is tat I have never HUNTED SE AK, however I have spent time there. I will be extremely wet and humid. My footwear would be (this is what I have) Meindle's 10" hunting boots or my Lowa Zephyr GTX. The low's are much lighter but the Meindle's are bulletproof. I bring gaiters, rain pants (I have Kryptek Koldo rain pants) . Rain coat, Kuiu Chugach. For base layers, I use Minus 33, 120 merino wool bottoms and top. (These are by far my favorite pieces of gear). I have different gloves every time I go there So I can't recommend a good glove. As for sleeping gear, I use my X-therm sleeping pad and my Wiggy's 15 degree glacier hunter. These bags, although bulky, wick moisture like a champ! I don't go hunting in AK without my wiggy's as you are almost certain to have rain. I have gone to bed with damp/wet clothes and woke up to bone dry, warm clothes. Overall, stay away from down and cotton. Good luck.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to be around camp every day, can't beat Helly Hansen Impertec rain gear. If Hiking, Kuiu Chugach or something similar.

For pants, I recommend a hybrid like Kuiu Talus or Sitka Timberline's. Everything is wet in SEAK.

Bring Insulation (puffy jacket and pants) and a wind resistant/stopper layer.

If your flying in with a Beaver, bring extra food and clothes. The weather in SEAK is unpredictable and you need to be prepared to spend up to an extra week in camp waiting for your plane. September is still usually mild but weather fronts come and go all the time.

gbflyer

WKR
I’m just a few miles NW of there. Embrace the fact that you’re gonna be wet with any kind of tent camping in SE AK. Use synthetic base products or wool. I’ve never used any technical rain gear that keeps you dry. From Patagucci to Kuiu to Sitka and the outdoor store brands to boot. The Helly Impertec is as lightweight a worthy product you’ll find, but then you’ll get wet from the inside out when you start hiking as they do not breathe. Your Goretex boots will also get wet. You’ll see the locals in ExtraTuf boots. They don’t leak when they’re new, but you’ll sweat like a pig in them. And they suck for hiking if you ask me. But I wear them anyway a lot of the time. Tents/bags get wet from the inside out with no means of heat to dry things out. Everything is clammy - wet all the time.

The alpine starts around 3000’. There are a good many days in September that you cannot operate that high due to weather with a small plane. If you are truly landing in an alpine lake, be prepared to 1) not be able to get there to start with, and 2) stay there a few extra days if you do. The air taxi folks have alternate areas most of the time, so flexibility is all part of the adventure.

Welcome to SE!