East Coast Coyote Hunting - Advise for a Newb

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Good Folks,

Life-time hunter but new to chasing 'yotes. Been doing some research to come up the learning curve - any advice is welcome.

Gun will be 6.5G or 22-250 + shotgun. I have an older FoxPro but open to hand/mouth call recommendations.

What time of year and time of day for a particular time of day is best?
Best calls?
Are coyotes sensitive to scent?
Is it true coyotes most always come in down-wind of call?
Day time vs night time (thermal or NV scope)?
Anyone hunt coyotes in wooded areas and what are your tactics?

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Coyotes in the east are a fun challenge. Usually mornig or evening is best, like most other animals. There are a couple approaches to calls...some guys will use coyote vocals as their go to all year, other use prey distress. Both will work and work fine together.

Coyotes are very senstive to scent and will usually try and get downwind of you to figure out what's going on.

Night hunting with a thermal is probably more effective than daytime, as coyote are more relaxed.

Use a shotgun in the woods...I prefer coyote vocals over prey in the timber, as you can howl and locate them and then move where you need to for a setup.

Ac338

WKR
For mouth calls Carver predator calls are very nice. He has a strictly business set that is a very good value. I’m in MI hunting public at night with red lights and the rabid rabbit and song dog slayer calls in the set have worked awesome. I’m terrible with the female howler though haven’t gotten howls down yet.image.jpg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Get yourself a Night eyes scan and gun light. I only ever hunted them at night-so much easier and fun. The owner of night eyes name is Joe-from PA and is a yote killing machine. Call him and discuss-you will learn more in those 10 minutes than you would in years.

Ac338

WKR
Get yourself a Night eyes scan and gun light. I only ever hunted them at night-so much easier and fun. The owner of night eyes name is Joe-from PA and is a yote killing machine. Call him and discuss-you will learn more in those 10 minutes than you would in years.

Agreed I have his headlamp scan light and Gl-350 gun light and I’ve stopped looking for anything else. Customer service is top notch and he’ll give you solid advice over the phone if you have questions

OP
wirehead

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
So you’re using a red light with standard optic? No fancy thermal or NV?!?

If your hunting coyotes in the daytime morning and evening might be a hair more productive but if your close enough to them when you start calling you can kill them any time of day.
I have just as much luck late morning and mid day as I do early or late, as the morning gets late you want be where the coyotes are bedding.
Wind is probably the most important part of it, especially in the daylight. If you’re hunting with a rifle you can generally get the wind in your favor pretty easy and shoot them before they get down wind.
If your shotgunning in the thick stuff you will want to carry something to check the wind, shotguns in the thick stuff is probably more affective than any other form of hunting in the daylight. But the wind is detrimental!
As for sounds, well that’s not so cut and dry. A lot of sounds work and most sounds will work most of the time. Figure out where they are LIVING and learn to hunt the wind and you’ll kill some coyotes. The most important thing is to be they are! Sounds cliche but it’s true. The closer you can get without getting busted the better off you will be!
All of that goes for daylight hunting, I have no clue about night hunting.
I will also add calling in the east is going to be similar to the west in my opinion, minus the coyote density. That’s why it’s so important to hunt where they are, not where you think they might be!

Nightime is best but you can kill them in daylight,
Coyotes are way past "sensitive" to scent. Most will try to get down wind of you.
Thermal is better than NV unless you are hunting around houses with pets.
If you want to hunt thick stuff/woods, go to youtube and watch everything MFK has on there. You will be learning from one of, if not the best thicket coyote hunters ever. Don't stop after a few, watch them all.

Fuddham

FNG
At nite with thermal is best. Both prey distress and vocals are a must. Breeding season is very productive.

Thanks
Scott