Thermals are ruining daytime coyote hunting

M44

FNG
Now before the dogpile begins, let me say I have nothing against thermal hunting or for that matter any new technology. As a matter of fact, I do not even own a thermal scope, however I have spent plenty of time in west Texas sitting in a high rack behind a white light. So I have a pretty good idea how night hunting works.

For 55 years I have hunted and trapped coyotes in 11 states. No elk. No deer. No antelope. Just predators. It is safe to say I have observed many changes over those years. It all started with hand calls because that was all that was available. The Burnham Brothers were my heroes. Then there were record players , but I never owned one of those. Then to cassette players and Johnny Stewart was kind enough to put one minute of silence in front so you push play and still have time enough to hustle back to you hidey hole. Then to crude electronic callers that you could remotely change sounds and volume. Now we have ecallers that revolve 360 degrees with an attached decoy if you are into that decoy thing. The latest is the Freq ultrasonic caller which produces frequencies that no other ecaller can duplicate. I do not know anyone I can trust to give an accurate evaluation of that caller.

I welcome new technology, but it comes with a price. That price is pressured/conditioned coyotes. With thermal costs coming down, anyone willing to knock the dust of his checkbook can purchase an ecaller and thermal scope. All that's left is just start pushing buttons. Nowadays, coyotes are pursued 24/7 and everyday of the year. That equates to lots and lots of pressure, but coyotes are very good at adapting to pressure. That is what I am seeing now with fewer hard chargers and having to deal with coyotes that just don't want to come in the daylight. In a few years the coyotes will realize they no longer own the night and will adapt to that situation as well.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Pressure has increased in a multitude of ways.

Thermal/night vision
E callers with higher quality sounds
Popularity
Ease of learning from forums, YouTube, etc.
And more guys and equipment that shoot up to 1000 yards at them

Every year a new generation is born that know nothing about the pressure. The more you kill, the more are born. Atleast that's what they say.

What can we do? Just keep killing those bastards.

Trail cams, e-"scouting", range finders.....
Most younger hunters do not know the challenge and enjoyment of trying to determine a big buck's
pattern by studying tracks, nibbled bushes, scrapes, rubs, never laying eyes on it until one day, hopefully,
he and the buck meet. Or know the satisfaction of taking an animal after all that enjoyable work.

Every style of hunting is changing and it's not all for the better.
We may not have killed as many or as large but no one today has more fun than we did.

More coyotes will become educated the more people screw it up, no question! My local area was screwed up before thermals even became popular. It will become more difficult, just have to figure out how hard you want to work at it.

Scottf270

WKR
I live in SE MO. We have always had a large population of coyotes. It was not uncommon to hear the various packs carry on at night in different directions.

I retired and got into trapping about 4 years ago. I am not a very good trapper and am strictly small time but I have caught a few. I do not catch near as many as I thought I would. I also do not hear coyotes very often.

We have a limited month or two thermal/ night vision season. Started several years ago. I had a guy tell me last year his group shot nearly 100 coyotes during that short season. I'm glad someone is getting them. I'm just trying to help the turkeys and fawns.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
As popular as it may be in some places, coyotes are virtually untouched around where I hunt. Also, there is no year round season here in NY. They are safe April through Sept-Oct., not positive when it starts. Most folks around here only shoot them when they see them during deer season. As much as I’d love to chase them at night, I just never find the time.

pirogue

WKR
Thermals? What about advanced calling electronics? When I started, I had to pay $5 for 2 hand calls and a record.
IMG_7579.jpeg

duckp

FNG
nice to see i,m not the only old cogger on here hell when i started there was,nt even any coyotes here in southern in. but we wore them grey foxes and reds out did anybody hang a carbide light on a fence post to see foxes we called in

People who don't know how to call coyotes are ruining coyote hunting.

I’m sure you didn’t know how to call coyotes when you first started…..and if you did, it was likely taught to you by someone who knew. Not everyone is that fortunate. You grow by learning from your mistakes and learn how to call and what they like. Hunting is a constant learning process, and you are constantly learning new things…...and if you aren’t, you aren’t growing as a hunter. Still plenty of coyotes around to have a good time when you go out even if people may be who are “new” are educating a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure you didn’t know how to call coyotes when you first started…..and if you did, it was likely taught to you by someone who knew. Not everyone is that fortunate. You grow by learning from your mistakes and learn how to call and what they like. Hunting is a constant learning process, and you are constantly learning new things…...and if you aren’t, you aren’t growing as a hunter. Still plenty of coyotes around to have a good time when you go out even if people may be who are “new” are educating a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem with new hunters. I have taken a bunch of new people calling. It's just irritating when people don't care to learn how to do it, and just go out and don't care if they educate coyotes. I tell people the best way to learn is to do it, but they have to be willing to learn.

It’s not legal in my state (Tennessee) but people still do it, over the last 2 years or so it’s gotten a lot more popular and I can tell a big difference in the way the coyotes are coming to the call. There a lot more hesitant to come to me now, they just don’t commit like they use to.
I don’t necessarily want any more governing than we already have but I do hope they never make it legal here, I just love the sport of calling them in the daytime and don’t have much of a desire to night hunt. But everyone has there opinion and that’s fine too of course

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I know they say the population will never go down, kill more and more are born.. I've seen more killed in my area this last year than the last 20 combined. Piles of dead coyotes. Contest winners seem to be averaging 2-3 times as many. More are running them with dogs which seems to be extremely lethal.

Last week was the first time in my life I did locator/challenge howls and didn't get a response. Did 5 sets with not one response! I kinda worried.

No trapping = more coyotes

More people calling = more educated coyotes

I doubt we see a decline in populations unless disease moves through or trapping/poisoning starts back up.

If every coyote came charging in to an ecaller playing rabbit distress every time they would have been all dead by 2010!