Easy tips to increase your long range shooting

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a weird trend I’ve been hearing about around my parts where guys are choosing not to carry a bipod on their rifle. I take issue with this and consider it extremely bad advice especially since you posted this in the long range hunting forum.

You mention in your article shooting off your backpack as a viable means of support beyond 1000 yards. It makes me question what you consider an acceptable wobble zone. Also if you value easily seeing your bullet impact whether on steel or an animal.

I applaud you encouraging hunters to practice with their rifle but there is no question that the most stable field position is prone with a bipod and if guys are going to be pushing the limits of their skill it should definitely be from as stable a position as possible.

I currently use a Hatch Outwest bipod and before that used a Harris tall bipod (12-25” I believe). With either of those bipods you can shoot from a fairly low prone to seated/kneeling. The bipod also frees up your backpack to be cradled on your lap as rear support. With a bipod you also never have to look for a good place to lean your rifle.

Bottom line there are far to many variables that can not only make you miss but far worse, wound an animal a long ways off. Shooting from a bipod helps reduce a few of those variables on the shooters side.

FYI this year I either killed or ran range/dope for animals killed at 330, 509, 575, 780, 850, 890 and one over 1000 that I won't say the exact yardage but each of those were shot in a prone or high prone position from a Harris, Atlas or Hatch Outwest Bipod.

I like the article otherwise especially encouraging guys to get out and test their rifle at different ranges and positions on something other than an animal.

834D9F8E-03A2-42C4-8DB4-95C005422701.jpeg

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
There’s a weird trend I’ve been hearing about around my parts where guys are choosing not to carry a bipod on their rifle. I take issue with this and consider it extremely bad advice especially since you posted this in the long range hunting forum.

You mention in your article shooting off your backpack as a viable means of support beyond 1000 yards. It makes me question what you consider an acceptable wobble zone. Also if you value easily seeing your bullet impact whether on steel or an animal.

I applaud you encouraging hunters to practice with their rifle but there is no question that the most stable field position is prone with a bipod and if guys are going to be pushing the limits of their skill it should definitely be from as stable a position as possible.

I currently use a Hatch Outwest bipod and before that used a Harris tall bipod (12-25” I believe). With either of those bipods you can shoot from a fairly low prone to seated/kneeling. The bipod also frees up your backpack to be cradled on your lap as rear support. With a bipod you also never have to look for a good place to lean your rifle.

Bottom line there are far to many variables that can not only make you miss but far worse, wound an animal a long ways off. Shooting from a bipod helps reduce a few of those variables on the shooters side.

FYI this year I either killed or ran range/dope for animals killed at 330, 509, 575, 780, 850, 890 and one over 1000 that I won't say the exact yardage but each of those were shot in a prone or high prone position from a Harris, Atlas or Hatch Outwest Bipod.

I like the article otherwise especially encouraging guys to get out and test their rifle at different ranges and positions on something other than an animal.

View attachment 135474
Thanks for the read. I wasnt meaning not ever use a bipod. I have one on my rifles 99% of the time. I didn't meant to come off as saying ditch it and send a prayer at game, just want people to become more familiar with the technique. With practice off a bag proned out you can be exceptionally stable. All this article was meant to do was give people an idea on how they can be more effective both mid range and long range. I really do appreciate the criticism. Also that's a nice long gun ya have there!

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I totally get your intentions challenging guys to practice more. Unfortunately most guys still only make time for 1 range trip a year.

The "Ditch the Bipod" heading just struck a nerve with me because I've been hearing more guys (who don't practice much) encourage others not to use a bipod. The reality with hunters are most don't practice with their gun or bow throughout the year but they're still gonna go hunting. I'd rather their equipment choices give them the best chance for success.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I wasnt meaning not ever use a bipod.

I have read quite a few GoHunt tips articles over the last few years, and have found them to be valuable and generally on point. However, regarding the bipod point that Jouneyman made, I really have to agree with him. I think the article is sending a very (too) strong message to ditch the bipod. I think the main message should be that one’s rifle support and body support should be sufficient to take an ethical shot, and one should practice enough to know what that is. I don’t understand why a blanket statement to ditch the bipod would be used.

Wapiti1

WKR
I probably would have qualified that section with a comment that bipods are great, but not always applicable. Learn to shoot with field expedient rests. Packs, rocks, trees, trekking poles, hunting partners, etc.

Otherwise, I like the message of practice and know your shooting system.

Jeremy

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
I would say that if a guy only utilizes the range or practices shooting 1 time a year shouldn't be taking what's known today as "long range" ethical shots. I really appreciate the critique on the bipod portion for sure. The fact of the matter is, as a hunter (especially one who wants to do long range engagements) you HAVE to know your equipment from bolt to bullet. I personally dont believe that one trip to the range, with a few shots or a box of bullets shooting from a bench is enough to validate yourself as someone to take longer range kills. I guess i shouldve mentioned that not using the bipod is a practice tool.

kickemall

WKR
Maybe "ditch the bipod" wasn't the best wording but thats not what I got out of that section. I interpreted it to be more of a practice different ways, like shooting off a backpack, so that you will know what its like in a hunting situation which is always a good idea. Good article.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
Also, the tips aren't meant to be in sequence of how to become better. They are individual to each other with different elements for practicing before the season begins. I should have re-worded "ditch" to something else. Thanks again for the input!

Broz

WKR
"Ditch the Bipod" That header line alone makes me wonder if you have the actual experience to advise people on taking animals at 1000 yards? I would never, ever encourage a less stable platform for long range hunting. Stability in a great bipod and read bag are key in good bullet placement. Not that there are not other good rests. But at long range you should always favor the most stable rest and if you dont want to carry the proper gear, then reeling in the distance is a better choice. Not trying to pick on you, but we have taken several elk 500 to 1200 in the lase few weeks and I would not allow a shot that was marginal in stability. Long range hunting is a commitment that deserves strict criteria.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
Broz, dig your work and definitely respect your opinion. I wasn't advising people to not use a bipod, I would advise they MUST use the bipod with a rear support if taking shots at game especially at the distances specified. These are just practice techniques to use in the off season for people to become more comfortable in their hunting platform. Thanks for the input.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR
Reading over the article again I realize I didn't specify the difference of practicing at 1000+ and shooting game at 1000. I personally would NOT take that shot with out my bipod and rear support on game. Like I mentioned earlier, my rifle most always wears a bipod.

Internet warriors unite!!!

Geesh, I cannot believe that some people get so uptight about not using a bipod. I run long range rifle matches and we make it so you would use your bipod about 10-20% of the time, the rest of the time shooters are using equipment on their persons.

I agree with you completely Anthony, it is a great idea to NOT bring a bipod. Learn to use other features/equipment and ensure you have total confidence in them. Those tall bipods are useful in only certain rare situations. There is also something else to consider, by bringing only what you need and being proficient in those shots, LIMITS you to an effective range. Bringing all kinds of extra equipment only raises your confidence and that may become a detriment to the animal with a painful wounding shot.

And I curse any hunter taking a shot past 800 yards on a big game animal. Flight times in excess of 1 second bring a lot of variables that create a less than perfect shot. Hate me if you want, but I believe that long shots are unethical. Say what you want to justify your actions, but in the end, you are risking the animal's pain and only bragging unnecessarily.

The article is well written. I was skeptical at fist when I read the title but was delightfully surprised when I read the article. Those 5 ideas are great. Thank you for this article.

OP
Wright406

Wright406

WKR

Geesh, I cannot believe that some people get so uptight about not using a bipod. I run long range rifle matches and we make it so you would use your bipod about 10-20% of the time, the rest of the time shooters are using equipment on their persons.

I agree with you completely Anthony, it is a great idea to NOT bring a bipod. Learn to use other features/equipment and ensure you have total confidence in them. Those tall bipods are useful in only certain rare situations. There is also something else to consider, by bringing only what you need and being proficient in those shots, LIMITS you to an effective range. Bringing all kinds of extra equipment only raises your confidence and that may become a detriment to the animal with a painful wounding shot.

And I curse any hunter taking a shot past 800 yards on a big game animal. Flight times in excess of 1 second bring a lot of variables that create a less than perfect shot. Hate me if you want, but I believe that long shots are unethical. Say what you want to justify your actions, but in the end, you are risking the animal's pain and only bragging unnecessarily.

The article is well written. I was skeptical at fist when I read the title but was delightfully surprised when I read the article. Those 5 ideas are great. Thank you for this article.
Appreciate it!

Wrench

WKR
I haven't carried a bipod in several years. My preference is solid front rest and rear bagged.....and yes, I have plenty of dead deer and elk at range.

Simple setup that is solid enough my 10 year old can snipe with it.FB_IMG_1539621082729.jpg

amassi

WKR
I didnt see anything wrong with your article, I agree that more shooters need to practice field shooting positions.

Never liked hanging a bipod for packing the legs are always catching on shit and the added weight affects off hand, kneeling and sitting positions. That's why the rail mounted options are so awesome. If I have time to dial and wind call I have time to slide a bipod on. I'll also use a puffy or rain jacket in a stuff sack as a rear bag
I'll bang steel throughout the year and only about 25% are prone off a bipod and rear bag
With todays rifles, ballistic apps and optics clanging away prone just isnt quite challenging enough. Big fan of shooting low sitting with tripod front support, most of the country I hunt is far too overgrown and steep to shoot prone in anyway, luckily shots that need prone have time to set up a firing position and solution. A fun challenge
10 minutes
10 rounds on target varying distances and positions
Run 100m with hunting load, pack bino harness etc
Range, wind call load and shoot. Helps eliminate buck fever(adrenaline) and target panic.
I wish there was a prs series for hunting rifles like the archery challenges.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider

Running long range rifle matches has no bearing on determining the ethical distance at which a shot on an animal should be taken. I shoot plenty of matches, I just shot the PRS finale 2 weeks ago but shooting my 20 pound 6 BRX positionally with no bipod off nothing but a gamechanger at steel also has no bearing when shooting a light weight magnum hunting rifle at an animal.

Your arbitrary 800 yard maximum distance is laughable as it takes nothing but flight time into account, a single variable. Wounding animals happens at all distances. If you haven't had a bad experience wounding an animal then you haven't hunted much. It happens unfortunately, the goal is to learn from those bad situations. One thing I've learned is to buck up and carry the extra pound or so of the bipod to ensure a stable rest when possible.

Bottom line, the title of the thread is "Easy tips to increase your long range shooting". Perhaps I misinterpreted the intent of the article because I took it as long range hunting, not shooting as is clearly stated. My mistake. I still advise everyone to run an appropriate height bipod, no matter the distance.

kabarNC

FNG
Ditch the bipod, run a tripod. I don't understand why so few people actually use a tripod for shooting. I never bring a bipod, only a tripod. Can be used in prone all the way to standing, as a rear support, and for all your glassing. Shooting at steel targets at 1130yds with 6.5PRC is as easy prone with a tripod as prone with a bipod, but you get the benefit of hitting the same distances sitting or standing.