Easy tips to increase your long range shooting

Blaw

WKR
There’s a weird trend I’ve been hearing about around my parts where guys are choosing not to carry a bipod on their rifle. I take issue with this and consider it extremely bad advice especially since you posted this in the long range hunting forum.

You mention in your article shooting off your backpack as a viable means of support beyond 1000 yards. It makes me question what you consider an acceptable wobble zone. Also if you value easily seeing your bullet impact whether on steel or an animal.

I applaud you encouraging hunters to practice with their rifle but there is no question that the most stable field position is prone with a bipod and if guys are going to be pushing the limits of their skill it should definitely be from as stable a position as possible.

I currently use a Hatch Outwest bipod and before that used a Harris tall bipod (12-25” I believe). With either of those bipods you can shoot from a fairly low prone to seated/kneeling. The bipod also frees up your backpack to be cradled on your lap as rear support. With a bipod you also never have to look for a good place to lean your rifle.

Bottom line there are far to many variables that can not only make you miss but far worse, wound an animal a long ways off. Shooting from a bipod helps reduce a few of those variables on the shooters side.

FYI this year I either killed or ran range/dope for animals killed at 330, 509, 575, 780, 850, 890 and one over 1000 that I won't say the exact yardage but each of those were shot in a prone or high prone position from a Harris, Atlas or Hatch Outwest Bipod.

I like the article otherwise especially encouraging guys to get out and test their rifle at different ranges and positions on something other than an animal.

View attachment 135474
what adjustable cheek rest is that? I keep seeing it around, also nice rig :) whats the calibre?

Wrench

WKR
how are you joinging your trekking poles? I do the wrist loops over opposite head but its not as sturdy as I would like
That's how I do it. Those komperdell poles have a lot of blood to their credit.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
what adjustable cheek rest is that? I keep seeing it around, also nice rig :) whats the calibre?

It's a Manner's light weight cheek piece. Just a little piece of carbon fiber with the threaded inserts in the top of the butt stock and several different thickness plastic spacers. You can order just the cheek piece and hardware and at it to your own stock. I had the stock built and they did it for me.

It's a 6.5 PRC34AE160B-8CFC-4A6E-9D7E-D522A37470BC.jpeg96CC37EA-258F-4C7D-900F-B16045340F0E.jpeg

Blaw

WKR
It's a Manner's light weight cheek piece. Just a little piece of carbon fiber with the threaded inserts in the top of the butt stock and several different thickness plastic spacers. You can order just the cheek piece and hardware and at it to your own stock. I had the stock built and they did it for me.

It's a 6.5 PRCView attachment 162238View attachment 162239
thats slick! thanks!

jmike

FNG
Great conversation....I have 2 rail mount bi pods that I love to use . That being said I have used tree limbs ,rocks my pack. And yes even off hand all come into play at times. I limit my self to 500 yrds max. Thats my comfort level.

Mike

Blaw

WKR

It's a 6.5 PRCView attachment 162238View attachment 162239
Hey I see its connected at the top, is that the only solid connection? the rest just sits on the side of the stock? no fasters?