Eating roadkill

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve picked up quite a few deer if the conditions are right and I have a rough idea of how long it’s been there. Only had one that was too bruised to make it worth while and one that had an off smell to it which was probably just me being paranoid. 2 years ago I grabbed one that looked fresh. Turned out it was just unconscious and when I got home notice it breathing. That was the freshest/cleanest deer I’ve ever skinned. Must have only need hot in the head and a clean cut to the throat left 100% bled out meat.
Good thing you didn't have a Tommy Boy incident.

Sandstrom

WKR
Once during deer season we found a doe that was hit the night before by a car, still alive but unable to move. We dispatched and tagged her. After four days of seeing nothing hunting it was a win:)
Ryan

I’ve switched from 165 gr boat tail to 5200 lb Tacoma. The velocities are not impressive at a mere 100 FPS but the ft lbs of delivered energy is tremendous, and effective range is about 300 miles. :D:D:D

I grew up in a middle class home and I’m doing well now, but I’ve slept under a bridge for a few nights and had times when i wondered how i was gonna pay the rent. I laughed really hard at the comment about “swelling up for dinner”. I think its really great that people do this. It breaks my heart every time i see a road killed deer As mentioned roadkill harvest is not legal in NV, so I’ve never had the chance. Course the coyotes ravens and magpies are not at all broken hearted about it.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Roadkill pheasant I hit on way to work. Turned around, picked it up & put it in the trunk. I worked at an ag/wildlife fisheries university, so one of my undergrads cleaned it for me when I got to work...lol. it was very tender.

robtattoo

WKR
Only damn deer I got this season was taken with a blue Ford Focus. I can't comment on the velocity, but the range was pretty close, iirc.

I came round a bend & traffic was stopped this poor damn doe trying to drag herself to the verge with 4 'country boys' trying to figure out what to do. I came out of my truck with a .44 in hand & did the decent thing. Almost got into a fight with one guy who decided that he wanted it but couldn't figure out how to kill it...... Back was broken, no lost meat.
Best part was the expression on the faces of 4 'country boys' when an English guy in a suit turns up with a big ass revolver & does the thing.

Last edited: