Eberlestock F1 - lifter mod

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, just wanted to throw out a redneck mod for those of you who have the 1.0 version of the Eberlestock F1 pack. If you're anything like me, your back is sore from having no load lifters on this pack, and this was my fix.

Materials Needed:
- 4ft length of 1/2" aluminum tube
- retaining pins
- hockey tape

Take the aluminum tube, and bend it to shape. Drill some holes for the retaining pins. Then wrap the whole mess with hockey tape. Voila, load lifter bar.

One thing to note: my version in the photos was built using an already-bent piece of old aluminum laying around my shop from an old project, hence the unequal "runner" lengths. I would recommend making the runners equal lengths, and I think I'll build a 2.0 version at some point.

This mod works great for the older F1 models (I believe the new F1's have a higher frame height now so they don't have this problem) and figured I'd throw it out there for anyone who was still rocking this pack. IMG_20190925_1540540.jpgIMG_20190925_1539138.jpgIMG_20190925_1652250.jpgIMG_20190925_1653055.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that. I had been thinking about just selling my mainframe and getting the tall version, but this looks like it would work for my needs. Did you use velcro to attach the buckles to the top of the bar?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

That's not bad. I really like how you can raise and lower that bar too. If I could figure out how to do something like that for my J117 Dragonfly, I'd keep it.

Honestly, why has nobody figured out pop-up lifters like the legs on a canopy tent? It isn't rocket science. Just press in the button, pull up or push down the lifter tubing, and done. I have no idea why this hasn't been done yet - especially on the Eberlestock packs that use the aluminum tubing.

Mystery Ranch could have gone this route with carbon tubing instead of the fold-over "Pop-up" frame.

I might have to just build a prototype and send it to Eberle. I love their packs, but damn man, get some lift already.

You might have just convinced me to get the standard height F1. I've been looking at the long version just for extra lift, but it would be nice to be able to drop those lifters in a day pack config. with just the batwings.

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that. I had been thinking about just selling my mainframe and getting the tall version, but this looks like it would work for my needs. Did you use velcro to attach the buckles to the top of the bar?

I did indeed use Velcro. Just used those cheap Velcro cable organiser wrap things. It was supposed to be temporary til I sewed some webbing ones up, but it worked so well I just kept it as-is.

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
That's not bad. I really like how you can raise and lower that bar too. If I could figure out how to do something like that for my J117 Dragonfly, I'd keep it.

Honestly, why has nobody figured out pop-up lifters like the legs on a canopy tent? It isn't rocket science. Just press in the button, pull up or push down the lifter tubing, and done. I have no idea why this hasn't been done yet - especially on the Eberlestock packs that use the aluminum tubing.

Mystery Ranch could have gone this route with carbon tubing instead of the fold-over "Pop-up" frame.

I might have to just build a prototype and send it to Eberle. I love their packs, but damn man, get some lift already.

You might have just convinced me to get the standard height F1. I've been looking at the long version just for extra lift, but it would be nice to be able to drop those lifters in a day pack config. with just the batwings.
I can't say it's the prettiest fix, but it is definitely functional. I've had the pack out on a bunch of trips since I've added that bar, and it works really well.

One thing too that I noticed was at height/width I have the bar set at, the bar is mostly "hidden" by your head. So it doesn't get hung up or catch brush while you're ducking under branches and stuff. (I still have nightmares of when I took my old Camp Trails pack from out hunting...)

I'll try and grab a few photos from my latest trip and post them up. Definitely easier on the back, and running the batwing configuration is a really slick way to go.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Well apparently I was stupid and only snapped a few (bad) gear pics. But from this one you can sort of see how lifter bar just barely extends above the height of the pack, and how it stays relatively narrow. 20191031_101523~2.jpg

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I snapped a couple of pics for reference. This was my daypack setup from earlier this week. IMG_20191102_0947018.jpgIMG_20191102_0947174.jpg

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome. Did you get a chance to carry a load with it? I'd love to hear how it handled it.

Looking at this again, do you think a person could do the same thing with PVC and a couple 90's? I think it would be strong enough. Also, what keeps the lifter bar from sliding down?

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome idea, I have always felt like the weight rode a little weird in my mainframe I think that you have solved my problem! Thanks, but how did you bend the pipe without collapsing it at the corners?

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Looks great . Do you have any worn spots on the bag from the retaining pins. Looks liked they would tear up a game bag. Could be a smoother pin option out there

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at this again, do you think a person could do the same thing with PVC and a couple 90's? I think it would be strong enough. Also, what keeps the lifter bar from sliding down?
A combination of friction, plus the cross-pins. The friction might work on its own, but the retaining cross-pins definitely keep it all from moving vertically.

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome idea, I have always felt like the weight rode a little weird in my mainframe I think that you have solved my problem! Thanks, but how did you bend the pipe without collapsing it at the corners?
I really carefully bent the pipe. It slightly collapsed in spots, but I made sure to do a gradual bend so that it didn't kink.

A pipe bender, or even a few relief cuts in the corner, would maybe make for a tighter corner. Over the winter I'm hoping to build my 2.0 version, which will hopefully have a less redneck setup.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great . Do you have any worn spots on the bag from the retaining pins. Looks liked they would tear up a game bag. Could be a smoother pin option out there
Bags are okay so far, but if I were to do a 2.0 version, I'd use a different type of retaining pin that sits flat against the pack/bag.

Randle

WKR
I just looked again , can you just rotate them down 90 degrees, then get rubber vaccuum line plugs from the auto parts store and slip over the tips of those pins. That may be all you need.

A combination of friction, plus the cross-pins. The friction might work on its own, but the retaining cross-pins definitely keep it all from moving vertically.

Thanks. I went with the tall F1 and I'm completely happy with it. I made a few modifications of my own at that. LOL

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I went with the tall F1 and I'm completely happy with it. I made a few modifications of my own at that. LOL
Yeah the updated tall F1 fixes the issue completely.

And side note for anyone who has read this far: I certainly hope I'm not giving the impression that this fix is a way to get "the best pack in the universe" or anything like that, cause it's not. But it was a cheap fix that made the short f1 frame a heck of a lot more comfortable and functional.