Education appreciated on a fine rifle/caliber

Syncerus1

FNG
To all my learned members: I have this old gun...
Been in the family for over 100 years. It is a 1988 Gewehr Commission rifle made in 1910-1912. It is chambered in 8mm Mauser. It is "proofed" for smokeless powder, and should carry a chamber made for the 7.92x57 JS. In 1905, the German Army adopted the “S” bore, this time indicating the lighter spitzer bullet used in the revised loading. The new bore diameter was, and still is .323”.
It is a delicate bolt action rifle with twin triggers, the forward one a set trigger. It has a 24" octagonal barrel that transitions to round approximately 2.5" before joining the action. It has a quarter raised rib, and wears a pair of flip up sights. I write this to obtain information regarding anyone who has a few empty cases, and anyone who has undertaken loading for this round.
The rifle was gifted to my great grandfather in the 1915-1920 era by an Indian friend of his U. Singh II, who happened to be the Maharaja of the State of Kotah, and
a reknowned big game hunter(Tigers). It is a most interesting gun in every respect, light weight, agile and fast pointing.
Before I sell it I would like to shoot it a few times. I would appreciate any and all guidance in the matter. Thanks all!
Overall.jpgRS Action.jpgTwin triggers.jpgSide view.jpg

OP
Syncerus1

Syncerus1

FNG
I have no one to pass it to. It hasn't been fired for well over 70 years, maybe 90 years. It is in very good condition and functions flawlessly. Someone should enjoy it, shoot it, and let it come alive again. First problem find case(s) and a lower power load around 2400-2500 fps...
Thanks for the thoughts though... it is a difficult decision...

Maverick1

WKR
You have a rifle that's been in your family for over a century, and you're considering selling it?
I would sell it. Sentimentality is just - - - a mentality. As is an approach to functionality. If something does not get used, or is useful or a regular basis, what is the point? Having a collection of 'stuff' that just sits in a safe or corner of a room or on a shelf inside house because it was purchased a long time ago by a distant relative and never gets used? Sell it. Not everyone is an antique collectors, some are minimalist and only own things that get used!

@Syncerus1 - this sounds like something you should take to Pawn Stars or the Antiques Road Show on PBS. Although your description of "U. Singh II, who happened to be the Maharaja of the State of Kotah" sounds a little bit like a Nigerian Prince that wants to send me a check of some sort, cash it, and deposit into my Grandmother's savings account......

Eleven

FNG
Didn’t U. Singh hang out with Jim Corbet??? Thats something right there.

Ive killed some animals with that round and it is formidable. If your model 88 has truly been proofed for 8x57JS, you’ve got a killer on your hands. But maybe do some reading on the difference between a model ‘98 and a model ‘88.

The 8x57JS is what is loaded in factory loads and typically any off the shelf American made ammo will be loaded to mild pressure because of the changes that were made to the 7.92x57 (8x57, 8mm Mauser). The european stuff is NOT mild and you might want to avoid it until you are sure that the action can truly take the 8x57JS pressures.

DO NOT shoot surplus ammo in it for the high probability of corrosive ammo and ruining that beautiful rifle. It sounds like you might be a reloader, so if you can‘t find ammo I might have a few empties rolling around that I can part with. Reloading is straight forward, any .323 diameter projectile over something like IMR4064 or Varget. The 8x57JS is a beast of a round with 200gr bullets.

I have no one to pass it to. It hasn't been fired for well over 70 years, maybe 90 years. It is in very good condition and functions flawlessly. Someone should enjoy it, shoot it, and let it come alive again. First problem find case(s) and a lower power load around 2400-2500 fps...
Thanks for the thoughts though... it is a difficult decision...

I'm very sorry to hear that...it definitely complicates a decision on something like this. Part of what you may be hearing voiced by those who would advise against selling, is a sense of loss many of us have felt by knowing that something analogous to your rifle had been in our family - that would have been deeply meaningful for us to have inherited, or even purchased from that family member - but it had been sold. It's not about an antique or the financial value, but meaning. Especially family meaning. A grandfather's favorite deer rifle, an old war trophy, grandma's favorite frying pan, even. Once those things leave the family, they're gone forever.

If you genuinely don't have a family member who would experience any sense of meaning from your family's history with this rifle, I'd like to respectfully suggest you consider finding someone who would find meaning with it. Someone who would take personal value, not financial, in knowing it was traced back to U. Singh, or India, or dangerous game hunting, for example.

One place you may consider would be reaching out to a local Sikh gurdwara (temple). You may very well likely know that Singh is a Sikh name. The Sikhs value owning weapons as part of their religion - I've largely found them to be very good people and welcome neighbors, many of whom may jump at the chance to own a rifle traced back to a member of their old nobility - especially a rifle of this quality. The set-triggers, octagonal barrel, and stock are particularly interesting.

2five7

WKR
That is a wonderful old rifle, with a great story. Sad that you have no one to pass it down to.

Do you have provenance of if being a gift from Umed Singh II?

OP
Syncerus1

Syncerus1

FNG
Thanks for the replies, each of you, and the thoughts. It truly is a difficult situation. The rifle, as a stand alone, is very unique. The cartridge has provenance and capability even today. From some of your shared suggestions I've learned a bunch about the round, and it is very interesting. Energy, velocity, overall loadings available, and a few handloads. I never entertained the Sikh connection, and being in Idaho wouldn't know where to start, but I'll attempt it. The guns historical value makes it a very significant part of my family's and even cultural history that should be cherished by someone going forward and not lost forever.
Thanks to everyone! Keep it up I need the help... please

OP
Syncerus1

Syncerus1

FNG
To Rock and Sage, re: provenance
In my grandfather's writing(s) reference is made to the rifle in several mentions. My Grandfather was born in Fargo ND in 1898. In 1919 he wrote, "Father has given me his rifle he shot in India with his friend Sing. It is a gun, given him by the Mararaja sp). He made me swear to keep it always and use it often. The war made me want nothing to do with guns..."
There are several more recitations regarding the rifle in his writings. The words strike a chord with me today in this effort I've undertaken with your collective assistance. My Grandmother's lineage always took precedence in the family. Her father's brother was a legendary photographer, Edward S. Curtis...
Maybe my Grandfather's lineage will now be elevated, I don't really know anything about his father, and sense there was alot more there. To experience the world of that era must have been something else...