Effectiveness of muzzle brakes

Curious about the over all effectiveness of muzzle brakes. There are so many different designs. From cheap ebay versions to precision, high dollar tunable ones. I'm wondering if there is a quantified difference study that has been done.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know of any studies except my own scientific experiment. Shoot with a brake, unthread brake and shoot again. Conclusion: my brake was very effective. Now the rifle is suppressed, much better.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Curious about the over all effectiveness of muzzle brakes. There are so many different designs. From cheap ebay versions to precision, high dollar tunable ones. I'm wondering if there is a quantified difference study that has been done.

Yep.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
High end brakes are worth it imo. And that’s coming from having tried the $20 eBay ones when I first started shooting. If you have the funds, I would skip right over the $20, or radially ported brakes and go straight to self timing brakes.

I run all area 419 because I love the design and recoil reduction and it is the system I use to swap my suppressor over to different rifles. APA little bastard is also a good one, PVA jet blast etc.

11boo

WKR
I got to where I disliked shooting my 300WM because of recoil.
local place makes brakes, did the threading too. Easily cut recoil in half and doubled noise under cover at the range.

IMG_3867.jpeg

Sled

WKR
I got to where I disliked shooting my 300WM because of recoil.
local place makes brakes, did the threading too. Easily cut recoil in half and doubled noise under cover at the range.

View attachment 652877

I'll bet that was pretty effective in clearing the benches next to you at the local range.

Bluumoon

WKR
Similar experience to Wapitibob. Tinnitus and some noticeable hearing damage after shooting an elk w out plugs in. Sell a gun if you have too and get a can,

Don’t own a muzzle break, but here you go:
Took a screen shot of the data for a quick reference and because I have nothing better to do:
Just be aware that the Y axis increments on the graph are a little misleading
A69A3183-7FCB-4F8B-AB09-AE735560444A.jpeg
520C499D-A5EE-4689-9D9E-8856B052A606.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideally, avoid brakes like the plague and get a suppressor. But I guess if that's not an option, I really liked my Insite Arms Heathen that I used before I went suppressed. Its first baffle is 90 degrees and the others are slanted so it doesn't direct nearly as much concussion back to you as an APA Little Bastard for example.

jimh406

WKR
There seems to be correlation with recoil effectiveness and noise. That is the best are very loud. But radial brakes still help reduce recoil. The difference is how much dust/dirt is blown up if you go prone.

Suppressors also reduce recoil without increased noise on the other hand.

If the point is to simply reduce recoil for practice, there are other options like better recoil pads, slip-on recoil pads, or shooting pads/vests made to reduce recoil. Those options don't make your hunting rifle louder.

rem308

FNG
I use a mid-range brake ($60)on a 308 and it makes all the difference in the world. I like that I can generally keep the animal in view after a shot to see what's going on in those vital moments. Definitely worth it just for that reason alone.

Sykes

WKR
Brakes do an amazing job at eliminating recoil and hearing. Suppressors work almost as good in my experience at cutting recoil and won't mess up your hearing. Plugs and muffs are the best with a brake but while hunting that's really not an option

I use the TI Pro 4 port on my sons 7 mm mags, a TI Pro 5 port on my 300 win mag and a TI Pro 3 port on a 308. It's amazing the amount of recoil reduction. I've also tried the Browning recoil Hawg, Ultradyne and one I think is called HMG. The UM Ti Pro's were the best!

I wear good hearing protection.

Flyjunky

WKR
Brakes do an amazing job at eliminating recoil and hearing. Suppressors work almost as good in my experience at cutting recoil and won't mess up your hearing. Plugs and muffs are the best with a brake but while hunting that's really not an option
Suppressors don’t reduce recoil “almost” as good and the linked article above points that out. I have both high end suppressors and brakes, there is no comparison.

Axlrod

WKR
It is an option, the other option is permanent hearing loss, from ANY rifle without a good suppressor. In 25+ years I have used hearing pro. on every shot fired from every firearm while hunting or not. If I don't have time to protect my hearing, no amount of time will ever bring it back.

11boo

WKR
I'll bet that was pretty effective in clearing the benches next to you at the local range.
It’s great at keeping brass rats away too. I’m pretty much over it tho. I don’t need a 300 for elk, and it is not as cheap to shoot anymore. I’m down to my last 6 pounds of cheap powder and those cases suck it up.
its amazing how much recoil that brake cut.

11boo

WKR
I’m pretty happy 130 rounds in with this linear compensator from Griffin.
This is on a light 308 AR, the recoil is not that bad un braked tho. I field tested braked, bare and the linear in one session.
The factory Ruger brake was very effective. It’s sitting on the stool.
loud too, as you can imagine. Under the range cover is really bad, like any brake. Really easy to spot my hits way up there on steel As the rifle just didn’t move much.

Bare muzzle, recoil was stout, not harsh. Still loud of course, markedly less tho.
Really not bad w/o a brake, but you weren’t spotting the hits.

This Griffin comp does some work. Not sure how, but it does. Blast is pushed forward obvi, noise is moderated a bit. Recoil is there, but not bad at all. Still spotting my steel hits out to 380, not as easy as with the Ruger brake tho.

IMG_0769.jpeg

Steel all over that cliff band. Glad I don’t have to paint it.
IMG_8653.jpeg