Effectiveness of muzzle brakes

OP
razorsharptokill

TaperPin

WKR
I’ll over use this story, but it too good to not repeat. This past fall a hunter missed a shot at a bull elk because of his brake. The way he describes it, the elk was an easy shot, there wasn’t any rush, and his brother was right next to him spotting, but they both forgot to bring ear plugs and started talking about how loud the shot is going to be and over thinking it. He flinched, shot over the elk. Lesson learned. A spotter doesn’t help when the elk takes off running. That’s why I stopped using a brake.

You might consider a PAST recoil cushion for practice. It’s 1/2” thick stiff memory foam that spreads recoil over a larger part of the shoulder.

Attachments

• 245362CF-8977-449B-92EC-B5D86107286C.jpeg
    245362CF-8977-449B-92EC-B5D86107286C.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
I’ll over use this story, but it too good to not repeat. This past fall a hunter missed a shot at a bull elk because of his brake. The way he describes it, the elk was an easy shot, there wasn’t any rush, and his brother was right next to him spotting, but they both forgot ear plugs and started talking about how loud the shot is going to be and over thinking it. He flinched, shot over the elk. Lesson learned. A spotter doesn’t help when the elk takes off running. That’s why I stopped using a brake.

You might consider a PAST recoil cushion for practice. It’s 1/2” thick stiff memory foam that spreads recoil over a larger part of the shoulder.
There wasn't any rush, and they had time to talk about how loud it was going to be?? And FORGOT to put in ear pro right after talking about it??

He didn't miss the shot because of the brake, he missed the shot because he is an IDIOT!

Sled

WKR
There wasn't any rush, and they had time to talk about how loud it was going to be?? And FORGOT to put in ear pro right after talking about it??

He didn't miss the shot because of the brake, he missed the shot because he is an IDIOT!

You must have missed the part where they talked about forgetting the ear pro.

TaperPin

WKR

I didn‘t write that very well. Neither remembered to bring their ear plugs.

kkp005

WKR
I’m anti muzzle break now also . The blast / concussion from one makes me flinch more than the anticipation of recoil.
Had a browning abolt 270 that I got when I was in 5th grade and it had a boss brake on it . Recoil was non existent but man just the blast felt like it would knock my teeth out .. lol..
recently put a can on it and man it’s a joy to shoot

Last edited: