Efficacy of Head and Neck shots for LR Hunters

I have killed a number of horses and about the same number of elk with shots to the top vertebrae of the neck. All were at less than 50 yards. The farther you get away from that fist size target the risk goes up exponentially.

Like others have said, head shots are ridiculous. The brain is about the size of a hardball and the skull cap will fragment. The rest of the skull is filled with sinuses. A very poor target. Long range target? In your dreams!

The only neck shot I've pulled off was last year. About 300 yards with a cow facing me. I'm usually right on without wind and only have to be concerned with vertical drop. I held about in the the middle and it dropped about 4-5 inches. She dropped like a rock. I wouldn't try a neck broadside shot. There is too much of the neck that is hair or just muscle.

All the deer I've shot with neck shots have been very close in dense jungles. A long range neck shot is driven by ego and is an unnecessary risk.

I have to qualify the term long range. In my world, 500yds is the distance to my north fence from the front porch. I don't have a range of that distance to practise at so that would qualify as a hail mary shot and I don't risk those except at coyotes.