El / outdoorsman micro pan head issue

neverquit

WKR
don't mean for this to be a knock on either product. I believe these two are the best products avalible but when used together I have experienced an issue.
That said ...

Has any one experienced an issue using Swarovski el's and the outdoorsman micro pan head?

The issue I have run into is the mounting stud is so far forward that when mounted they become very back heavy and want to fall backwards. I never noticed with a larger fluid head.

I believe I have a fix but I was wondering if any one else has experienced This.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I have that setup and it hasn't been an issue. What tripod are you using?

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
The outdoorsman compact med. the issue is with the off balanced binos and the head.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had the same issue. I fixed it by going to their pistol grip. The micro is nice and compact, but it seemed like I was always messing with it instead of glassing.

fire652

WKR
I had your same setup. 12x50 el. Outdoorsman stud. But I have the medium tripod. I had the micro head and really liked it, but after messing with it I went with the pan head. Night and day difference. The micrograms did work perfect for my 8x42 however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
image_zpsyeqnfjj1.jpeg

image_zpspby1mqbo.jpeg

image_zpsa4joekoc.jpeg

Before it seems like at certain angles mostly looking up the head always wanted to fall backwards. I think this offset should work perfectly

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I guess I'm not following as it seems a few have had your issue. At any angle my setup doesn't move if the head is tensioned tight even with an 80mm scope. What exactly is happening? Is your entire tripod setup falling over? I've only had mine for a few months but I did also have the reg pan and had no difference in stability.

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
I guess I'm not following as it seems a few have had your issue. At any angle my setup doesn't move if the head is tensioned tight even with an 80mm scope. What exactly is happening? Is your entire tripod setup falling over? I've only had mine for a few months but I did also have the reg pan and had no difference in stability.

I don't think you would experience this unless your using 12x50el with the micro pan head.

The els mount on the front hinge. The puts most of the weigh to the rear. While angled up sometimes only slightly the head rotates quickly causing the eye peice to contact the legs. Or worst smash your fingers between the eyepiece and the legs.

I don't think you would experience this unless your using 12x50el with the micro pan head.

The els mount on the front hinge. The puts most of the weigh to the rear. While angled up sometimes only slightly the head rotates quickly causing the eye peice to contact the legs. Or worst smash your fingers between the eyepiece and the legs.

So will the Micro head work with 12x20's?

HookUp

WKR
Maybe its a point of balance issue? While the Outdoorsman's quick attach stud is highly convenient, it doesn't balance and glass optimally from the forawrd stud position. The Swarovski bino holders centers the weight of the binos over the tripod, giving a much better balanced platform to work off.

I have zero issues with the regular pan head. I don't have balance issues and I don't have to put the 12x50 els on backward. The 3-4 ounces the micro saves just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Attachments

• 20160904_102923.jpg
    20160904_102923.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 64