Electric fences

mntnguide

WKR
That's exactly the style I lead to more, hiking from camp. My two mules are great with electric fence, but also have a buddy who packs in the Bob, uses electric all the time for his horse (leaving mules free most of the time), but has had the occasion when the smell of a grizzly spooked his mare to run through the fence.

So with just 2 horses/mules that you're familiar with, your normal procedure is to still keep them in the electric corral all day while hunting on foot?

Sure would be much nice for them, rather than being tied up the whole time.

Thanks,

s
I have left them in there all day while hunting with zero issues. I think a big key to that is a big corral with good feed, and some trees if possible for them to stand by during the day etc. A lot of days ill do a morning hunt, and come back by camp for the heat of the day, then tie them up during the afternoon, and kick them back out at night. Just depends on which herd of elk i end up chasing all over the mountain. . I do have grizzly problems, had a sow and 3 cubs tear my camp to pieces beginning of archery last year. That night, i tied the horses up to make sure id wake up if she came back. But my stock is pretty use to the big bears at this point.

If there is any thought in your mind that your not comfortable leaving them out alone, dont. A hungry horse is much better than one that leaves your ass 15 miles in the mountains

WyoHuntr

FNG
Are you guys keeping one tied up, while the others are in the electric corral?

I like the idea of hobbling inside the fence as a little insirance.
Terrain dependent. If there is a lot of brush/logs and it's not flat, then No hobbles. I'd rather chase them than have one flipped over & hung up. If it's flat and just grass, I have hobbled a few problem animals. I don't tie up at night, because I want them getting food and/or moving when it's cold.

I always have a dyneema highline (it doesn't weigh much), just in case one refuses to stay in. Which has happened when everything freezes up, and they cant paw enough grass. I bring it every day in the packs in case I'm parking them all day, or in case I need some rope to pull something, etc.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
All my personal horses live in a permanent hotwire set up for grazing, never a problem and they respect it infinitely. When I’m out in the mountains I turn them loose with hobbles to graze, when I go to bed they get highlined. Typically I only hobble my lead horse. The rest never venture far from her, plus one for mares. But when I’m sleeping they get high lined. They can eat in the morning when I get up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk