Electrical Tape on Muzzle

I had serious accuracy problems with tape over my muzzle brake. So make sure you test it first.

Would love to know what you mean by "serious" accuracy problems? I have shot like this at the range, known tons of people to have done the same and read the articles that say there is NO as in ZERO impact on accuracy.

The bullet compresses the air ahead of itself and blows the tape off before it exits the barrel.

Maybe something to do with your muzzle brake?

Take a small roll of electricians tape in your pack. Put one strip over the end of the muzzle coming from one side of the barrel about an inch from the muzzle up over the top of the barrel and down the other side. Leave about an inch on the other side and pull the tape until it breaks off and rub it smooth to the surface of the barrel.

I've tested it on targets and if there is any effects it is extremely minimal and is completely safe to shoot through. If it's stayed no through the day and looks to be fine at night, no reason to remove it to just put another piece on in the morning. If it is really wet (rain & snow), still a good idea to take it off at night to let circulation dry out any moisture possibly present inside the barrel. Some small amount could get in from the chamber side. Put a new piece of tape on in the morning. It does work!

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
338LM with Terminator T3 brake, shooting 300gr SMK's.
Typical 3shot group at 100yds is 0.2" or less. With tape over brake 2.5" groups

sab

Lil-Rokslider

It's due to the brake. As the bullet travels down the barrel, pressure rises and keeps rising until the tape lifts at the ports because the force from the pressure over comes the adhesive force before overcoming the tensile strength of the tape at the muzzle. The tape lifting is enough to vent the building pressure back down to atmospheric pressure, leaving the tape on the muzzle. When the bullet hits the tape, it is perturbed slightly, and the effect is worse than a boogered-up crown because the bullet is in free flight through the brake so it's easily affected.

Without a brake, the building pressure pops a hole in the tape that the bullet can pass through without being perturbed.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

.2 to 2.5 inches..... Due to a strip of tape? Yeah, no.

Every gun I shoot, both competition rifles and work guns get their muzzles taped. 5.56, 243W, 6C, 260, 6.5C, 7/08, 7.62, 300 WM and Norma, 338 Lapua and Norma, 408Cheytac, 50cals. And a whole lot more. I have never seen a perceptible POI shift or change in precision taped or untaped.

Has anyone actually tested accuracy while shooting with tape on the muzzle?

I've been taping the muzzle of my rifle for 25 years when hunting and also during deployments overseas. I've tested muzzle taping and have not once seen a degradation in accuracy. There's a lot of muzzle taping going on in places where a first shot might be all you get when up against things that fight back. Tape your muzzle and forget about it.

Do any of you put tape over the muzzle of your handguns? It's probably not needed if in a closed holster and most probably point down anyway. I've never thought about my pistol until reading this thread and it made me curious if anyone does it and why and /or when.