Electronic charging

vthokee

WKR
Exploring different options to keep my phone charged while in the backcountry. Our local Sam’s Club has these for sale in a 2 pack. Would these be worth purchasing or should I look for other options.
7A17D197-CA65-4FC4-8014-B07F7E07C1BF.png

skierhs

WKR
Those look decent. I don’t have any personal use with those though. I would suggest looking at the Dark Energy battery packs. They’re far more weather resistant to dust and water so I don’t worry about where I carry it. I have yet to brake theirs yet so I can attest that they’ll last you awhile.

OP
vthokee

vthokee

WKR
Yeah I don’t know enough about this subject to know if these are good or not.

skierhs

WKR
Yeah, what kind of hunting will you be doing? Will you be in the PNW, Alaska or Arizona In the desert.

OP
vthokee

vthokee

WKR
I’ll be in NM depending on where I’m hunting it could be flat sage land or up high in the timber.

skierhs

WKR
Cool, I wouldn’t worry about it being dust/water proof as much but still keep it in mind. How long are stints are you looking to use them on/what are you looking to charge?(phone, gps, camrea etc.)

Austink47

WKR
I use the anker you can get them on Amazon for $25. I have kept my phone going for five days on one (using as a gps). Pack two for long trips, or when I am going with a slack ass buddy that I know won’t be prepared. The little 4” cable is the cherry on top. I may be a shity hunter but by god I can charge a cell phone.F0872F38-C3B2-4ACF-A9F3-E902F2A19706.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
I purchased a Milwaukee heated vest for work/hunting....so it is an M12 system and I use M18 system tools thus I also purchased an M12 to M18 converter. So the M18 converter arrives and it has a usb outlet on it.....so I can take a 5ah battery and charge via usb. I also have a great M18 handheld light and a 5ah battery in it last's forever, I mean days....... The light itself is very light. On a one night pack in/out I have a light, way to charge things while I sleep and a heated vest for the am....with one 5ah battery. Add a 1.5 ah M18 battery and I can fun the vest for 9 hrs on low while I sleep. Pretty neat stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5099.jpg
    IMG_5099.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 73

renagde

WKR
I just picked up a small 10,000mah battery pack with a solar panel from amazon. Weighs 9oz, keeps my watch and phone charged, and if i run out of juice I can hang it on the back of my pack to try to recharge it. All sounds like a good theory in my head, haven't officially tried it yet though.

I have a Ravpower 5200 mAh I carry all the time since my headlamp, GPS when I carry it, delorme, and phone all use rechargeable batteries and if I'm going on an extended trip I bring my Anker 10,000 mAh pack. Been doing this for the past 3 years for 40-50 days each. I personally don't understand the draw to the poseidon units that are expensive and bulky with a pointlessly long cord and the unit doesn't do anything mine above already do well. The one thing to pay attention to, and it's not as big of a deal now, as when I was looking to go rechargeable is the output jack and how much output it can handle. Some of the items we recharge require a high draw charge and some of the early battery packs couldn't push that much juice. Technology moves pretty fast so I don't think that is as much of a concern now.

Gobspur

FNG
Ravpower turbo. Had two ankers crap out in past. Took this on last trip in sep 2017. Charged it up when i got back and has been in desk draw ever since. Just pulled it out and was still fully charged. Even charged my phone from 35% to 100, and it still shows full. I will take a smaller version next time as this one is huge.
e98b8f6000be8573a15a9a904b99b896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

No matter what, even quality externals have a finite number of charge cycles in them.

+1 for dark energy if you want bombproof, but you pay up. I have one and it is awesome.

+1 for anker but they are not as tough. I have a few that I use for every day and non wilderness travel. They have found their way into the woods every now and then. If I were cost conscious I would use an Anker in a zip lock.

To be honest, I would probably buy two smaller ankers with a capacity equal to the dark star. That way if one craps out on you, you have another and come out ahead on money.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I just got this Anker a few weeks ago for this years season. This is my first external battery purchase so I cant speak on any others or the durability of this one. It seems to work great though. I charged my Samsung S9+ 4x with the regular output port and 2x with the quick charge port. At that point it was dead. ( if you have multiple things to charge you can do 2 at once with the 2 ports just be conscious of which to connect to the high output port) A few times I was even scrolling through social media for up to an hour while charging therefore drawing more juice than it would have normally taken. This one in specific is a little big... 8x3in. But for the money, it seems like it will suit me well for a week long trip in the mountains. Good luck.
aa160bff5b957614207f96a8bec68236.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Anker here too. Bought mine off Amazon for like $30 two years ago and have had no issues. I keep it in a dry bag in my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk