Element Optics riflescopes, first impressions and discussion.

Kimmo H

FNG
I was looking at FFP Mil scopes for my 22LR practice rifle a while ago, and decided to give a newcomer brand a shot. I ordered a few Element optics scopes to the place where I work, a couple cheaper Helix serie scopes and one Nexus 5-20.

I wasn't expecting much especially from the Helix, but it seems to be a decent scope all around for its price. A friend of mine bought one in 6-24, and I bought the Nexus 5-20 for myself. Both work well, track spot on and return to zero no matter how much you dial up and down, side to side. Both models have zero stop, but the Helix has 6mil rotation on the elevation turret, Nexus has 10.
Image is decent, nexus having a bit more contrast and more defined, sharper edges than the Helix. Nexus has illumination, wich works well also. Zero stops are easy to set, and with a canted ring setup I have 25,5mil of up travel available atm. DLO at snipers hide likes the Nexus, and I can't disagree much. A tiny bit of CA shows that its not a top tier optic, but it doesn't bother me at all in normal use, and I'm very much annoyed by visible CA when shooting.

In short; both work well, and for the price both seem good.

A short while a go Element Optics released their top of the line model scope, Theos 6-36x56 FFP. I pulled the trigger on one, a bit worried about spending a good chunk of cash on an optic I had never seen with my own eyes.
I had a test day at the shooting range, with a lineup that consisted of a Zeiss LRP S5 5-25, Element Theos and a NF Atacr 4-16x42. There were 4 active shooters that really know their optics, and everyone of us considered the Theos better than the Zeiss imagewise, and preferred the reticle aswell. The turrets split opinions, other liked the subtle Zeiss turret with a harder click on full Mils, but I personally prefer the more distinctive feel of the Element. NF has better turrets than either of them imo, but the Theos is really good too.
Optical performance comparasion was difficult between Theos and NF, as the 16 zoom is limiting, but when both were set at 15, the Theos has a slightly brighter image than the NF, but neither had any defects that I could think of, and no visible CA even on whites and branches.

Later on I had 2 more people look through the scopes that are not active shooters, but have reviewed optics with me before and so know what to look for. I covered the model and make markings of both scopes, and let them pick wich they liked more all around, and again on wich was better optically only. Both picked the Theos, giving it the edge with better contrast and less distorted view on low power. The eyebox is a bit tighter on the Theos on 25, than it is on the Zeiss, even more so on 36, and that made the other tester think for a while when he was trying to pick wich to him was better all around.

Sounds like a lot of praise, but thats just how it went. The testing was done on equipment of my work place, on one day, with guys both friends of mine and total strangers. It was cool imo. to see how well everyone liked the scope they had no idea of what it was.

After the test day I jumped on the Theos and put the scope on my 6,5x55 semiweight Tikka rifle with Element Acculite rings, on Tikkas own Picatinny rail. 100m zero was a breeze as the toolles turrets are idiot proof to set and I conducted a tracking and RTZ test at the same range visit. Had a plumb line and a scope level helping me stay straight on the target, and the scope tracks spot on, and the reticle matches the turret movement precisely enough that I can't find a fault in it by shooting without proper testing equipment and fixed test bench.

The next step was to stretch it out a bit, and I shot it at 800meters, and 1030meters. On a calm sunny morning I managed to shoot ~0.7MOA from both distances, wich is about as good as the rifle shoots anyway at those distances. It was a joy to shoot long distance, 800 was shot at x25, 1030 at x30-32 or so. So far I really like the scope! The only thing that worries me is the rev indicator lever on the elevation turrer, as it looks like it may catch debris and dust in it, but time will show how it pans out.

Now all there is left to do is Forms drop test on both scopes and rifles, but I can't afford breaking either one of them on purpose I'm afraid. Would definitely love to see the results though, so maybe I'll do it some day.

Anyone else running an Element scope? How do you like it, and have you had any issues with them? My first impressions are positive for sure.

I used a Helix 6-24x50 SFP to shoot a couple hundred goats on a 6.5G AR15. It held up to some abuse, I think it is very solid. I love the SFP reticle and the turrets are nicely stuff, they won't accidentally shift. The throw lever is a nice touch. I use the scope as a 6-12. Glass is a bit crap past 12 but I don't shoot past 12 much. My friend has a Nexus and it is nice but the turrets are easy to shift, I prefer the Helix turrets. Also the Nexus doesn't come in SFP which I prefer. The Nexus glass was much more usable past 12. Pretty big fan and I'm tempted to get a HDLR however I'm reluctant to support the Chinese industry....

@Kimmo H Thanks for the writeup. I am tempted to try an Element but they seem to still be somewhat unknown. Now that it has been more time, what has your experience been with durability, and holding zero? Have you given them any real abuse?

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
@Kimmo H Thanks for the writeup. I am tempted to try an Element but they seem to still be somewhat unknown. Now that it has been more time, what has your experience been with durability, and holding zero? Have you given them any real abuse?
So far no issues with either of my own scopes, nor with any of those that my shooting buddies have.

The Theos has seen some real use, a lot rounds and dialing, hauled around and bumped on stuff and it has retained zero. Currently sits on a 6,5 Creedmoor on a Spuhr mount. I haven't thrown it off buildings or purposely dropped the rifle on the scope though, but it has held up to the usual abuse of stuffed car travel, rifle falling over, hitting on shooting barricades and doors etc. The normal hard use I suppose.
I was worried about the little revolution indicator lever on the turret, but it hasn't been an issue so far as it only moves once past a full revolution. I still think that it * might * be problematic in snow and icy conditions if there is a need to go past a full revolution.

I haven't shot the 22lr that much, so I can't comment on the durability of the Nexus. I'm not worried about it though, as everything seems to work as intended.

A friend of mine really likes his Element scopes, and he has bought a Helix 6-24, Titan 5-25 and a Helix HD 2-16x50. The 2-16 especially seems pretty great for the price, but time will tell how it handles the recoil of a .308 SFAR after a while. I really like it optically between 2-12 or so. The very top end loses a bit of sharpness, but the image is close to flawless up to that ~12 zoom.

Seems to be decent scopes for the price point at this time. I've sold a dozen of different Element scopes at work over the year and so far nobody has brought one back in for warranty.

OP
Kimmo H

Kimmo H

FNG
Theos and Nexus are Japanese made. The others are Chinese. I also avoid the Chinese stuff.
Same here. The fact is that some of the chinese scopes are pretty good, but I don't personally want to support their industry when not necessary, hence I went with the made in Japan series for my own scopes.

Unfortunately it is basically impossible to avoid made in China stuff completely. Even many of the well known american / european optics brands source some components from China, and nearly every thermal imaging device has chinese internals in them, even if they are branded Zeiss or whatever else.