Elevation change to stop other hunters

Benet30

FNG
long time lurker, first time poster.

My brother and I are most likely headed to Montana this fall and questioning how tall does the mountain have to be to stop most people from going over to hunt the next valley. In your estimate what % of hunters would a 1000 ft climb stop from wanting to hunt the next valley?

Thanks for any replies

KsRancher

WKR
Where my dad shot his elk this year was 1.98 miles as the crow flies from the trailhead with 1980ft of elevation climb. But you wouldn't dream of walking it as the crow flies. The best walk turns into almost a 4 mile trip in. I would say that it gets rid of all but a few % of the people

Less than you think.

I could point you to a place in CO you can drive right to it, look at the elk below you going nuts, but it’s a 1k drop practically a cliff, and very very few drop in. That is 25 years of watching it.

BDRam16

WKR
Very tough question. Is it 1000’ with a trail and gradual climb or 1000’ in blowdown up a nasty slope? The thing is that with the way things are now you just aren’t going to get away from everyone. You could climb higher and go farther and there will still be someone there lol.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find places with close topo lines and rest assured you will not find many going up over 1000 ft straight up. Trails and big gapped lines yes more competition, steep and painful you can get away from 99% just have to find those places🤙

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 180
1000’ ain’t nuthin.
You’ll get there and probably find some tents set up in the meadows.
Been there done that. The guaranteed meadow where all else fails, Two miles about a 60 degree incline about a 1800 ft accent. Get there and there are five separate little campsites with two to four tents all IN THE MEADOW!
Busted those elk out!

Nothing like treading up the side of blow downs and steep nasty stuff and then finding boot tracks in front of you. Another fool killing himself going where no sane individual should even consider.

Last edited:

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
I think there's a lot of factors at play more than just how tall is the mountain. Terrain, Access, Weather, game opportunity, all play a factor. I have been in spots where the drive is not a big deal, the hike in absolutely sucks and there's people everywhere. Ive also been in spots where the drive in was kinda bullshit with a 1500' foot climb over 2.5 miles and once in "the spot" there was really low hunter density.
If people want antlers then straight up do dumb stuff for bone. Not too many people hunt for cow elk with the I'll pack it out 2-3 mile mentality. Morale of the story? All depends on where you're at and what you're after.

I am newer to elk hunting and killed my first elk last year. 14 hours from where I live and all e scouting to find it. Not a huge area and most place has roads and trails. I found the farthest place from the roads and trails, which is only 2.5 miles (as the crow flies) in between roads and I have been back there 2 years and only seen 2 people total in about 15 days in there. It is about 1500’ total of elevation and semi gradual but no trails and a fair amount of work to get there. A lot of people in the area but really seems to cut down the numbers if much work is needed. Won’t cut everyone out but the numbers go down substantially in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a look, 1400-1700 foot drop And it’s like a fence with a barking pit bull behind it. very few go in, and even less go twice.

We did 2,000 this year and found some fat guys from Michigan at the top who were struggling to pack out a couple of mule deer.

Whole lot of it depends. Agreed with what Ross said, find the stacked topo lines and climb. The further you're getting from established trails the better. Things like blow down, old fires, and rock fields often filter people out. If it's along the way to your very all the better. Unfortunately my hunting partners will rarely follow me into situations like that, let alone worrying about the other guys hah.

Beendare

WKR
I like the way you are thinking OP...but I have found guys packed way into areas I didn't think anyone would be as stupid as me to go.

I look for areas where I say to myself, Oh man....thats a shitty spot to get to and out of.....

Usually its over and down then over again....

Live and hunt in Idaho, we hike in and camp and we go through some nasty stuff and put elevation and miles on most won't do. We, however see a few hunters 1 or 2 guys yearly that are willing to do the same stupid crap we are. Last year we peaked out and saw 2 buddies on the same ridge 100' from us. We stopped and talked for a few and we went down one canyon and they were headed down the opposite side. Always helps finding good guys and gals hunting that respect other people. On that note if your willing to go there, someone else is likely to as well.

Last edited: