Elk experiences with 6.5 PRC and 156 EOL

My brother loves his new Tikka in 6.5 PRC and it shoots handloaded 156 EOL very well, mv 2932 fps.

Does anyone have on-game experience with this combo, specifically on elk?

P

nmarchr

FNG
We don’t have a lot of experience as this was our first year with this combo, but my kids each shot cow elk this year with the prc and factory Berger 156’s. Results were as expected. Bang and flop! Lungs mush, elk were 655 and 665 yards. We will continue to use this combination for all our hunts. Here are some pics of what this combo did for us this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    695.8 KB · Views: 217
OP
Pharmseller
We don’t have a lot of experience as this was our first year with this combo, but my kids each shot cow elk this year with the prc and factory Berger 156’s. Results were as expected. Bang and flop! Lungs mush, elk were 655 and 665 yards. We will continue to use this combination for all our hunts. Here are some pics of what this combo did for us this year.

Exactly what I was looking for! Did the bullets exit?

P

I’m really looking at getting a 6.5 prc for my kids to shoot. Something with an adjustable pull. Possibly a 7mm-08. I’ll have them shoot accubonds as that’s my go to bullet.

Jimss

WKR
If you have the choice I'd consider a 300 WSM or 7 PRC. My son has a 6.5 PRC and it is borderline for elk. A lot of guys swear by the accuracy but I am skeptical...especially at long range with wind and other factors.

You don't know how many guys on the internet have asked this same question. Why use a caliber that you question having 100% faith in? Is it worth wounding a bull elk of a lifetime? Take a look at the ballistics at longer range with the same bullets in other calibers. If you plan on doing much elk hunting in your lifetime you may want to choose something else? If it's just one elk hunt and you only take short shots with the perfect shot than go for it!

bmart2622

WKR
If you have the choice I'd consider a 300 WSM or 7 PRC. My son has a 6.5 PRC and it is borderline for elk. A lot of guys swear by the accuracy but I am skeptical...especially at long range with wind and other factors.

You don't know how many guys on the internet have asked this same question. Why use a caliber that you question having 100% faith in? Is it worth wounding a bull elk of a lifetime? Take a look at the ballistics at longer range with the same bullets in other calibers. If you plan on doing much elk hunting in your lifetime you may want to choose something else? If it's just one elk hunt and you only take short shots with the perfect shot than go for it!
Ive run the numbers on several bullets a bunch of times, a 156 at 2900 fps is still lethal out to 850ish yds....its more than adequate for elk

Marble

WKR
I was wondering the same thing. The 6.5 PRC usually pushes the ~150 grain bullets near 3k FPS. Not too mention the 6.5 bullets have great ballistics. It wouldn't be my first choice for elk, but I would be comfortable using it if the accuracy was there.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Pharmseller

Dude.

I appreciate the effort, but read the post. Help me understand where I said he didn’t have 100% faith in the cartridge?

Between the two of us we’ve notched quite a few elk tags. I’m in the lead with numbers but he’s got me beat with size.

It‘s the innanet and all and everyone has something to say, I get it, but I’m just looking for stories like nmarchr or brockel.

P

OP
Pharmseller
I’m really looking at getting a 6.5 prc for my kids to shoot. Something with an adjustable pull. Possibly a 7mm-08. I’ll have them shoot accubonds as that’s my go to bullet.

I’m a fan of the Mighty -08 myself.

P