Elk habitat

Lpalmer2

FNG
Quick question regarding elk habitat and what y’all think a elk would prefer. I’m taking a backpack trip elk hunting during the first week September to the North Slope UT and am hunting the same unit I did a few years back but am contemplating trying a different area. While I’ll ultimately end up in the North slope there is a chain of mountains to the N that have me curious. The peaks ain’t as high but appears to have food, water, and shelter. Would y’all either dive straight in to the North slope and get in to them big drainages or would y’all spend a day or two at those lower elevation mountains first and then backpacking in if it lacks sign. I’ve got a pretty good feeling that I’ll end up sitting water And if those lower mountains lack anything it appears to be an abundance of water, which could also concentrate the elk, if any are there. Anyways I’ve been mulling this one over for a few weeks and figured there’s probably some guys on here that can set me straight on this matter. Also, I didn’t mark out the coordinates in case someone wanted to look.

Attachments

• 16DB5F6A-CC93-4E8F-8641-F1100B72CBEE.jpeg
    16DB5F6A-CC93-4E8F-8641-F1100B72CBEE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
Just did some camping and scouting up on the North Slope this past weekend. Go higher!

OP
Lpalmer2

Lpalmer2

FNG
Thanks I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Y’all have a great season.