Elk hunting near Craig Colorado

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Got invited to hunt with a group there, otc second season. My only real question is how was the hunting pressure? I stopped hunting SW Colorado a few years back because it had gotten so crowded.
There's some other reasons I'm leaning in this direction that aren't important to the discussion, just looking for your opinions from those that have been there in the last few years.

Thanks,

MM

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been a rough winter and last season the pressure was high.

2nd and 3rd season rifle on public? Bring your flak jacket and battle helmet. On the opener be up super early at a vantage point/escape route and be lucky.

pcrossett

FNG
I can't speak specifically to 2nd season rifle in that area but with OTC anywhere at this point I think you need to come in with low expectations and hope for the best. During archery season saw a ton of people but then during 4th season rifle didn't see another hunter last year.

OP
M

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the insight guys, still have a little bit to decide.

I have an application into Wyoming with my son for elk, may get drawn for bull probably for cow. But some of my family decided to put a trip together out west and stay at a family friends camp. Long story short they are getting older and not sure how many more or if any more hunts like this will pop up again. It's really a no brainer for me, but would like to know what to expect. I'm not expecting the hunting to be all that great but the time with all my cousins will be. At least o e of my boys will be going along too, my oldest has hunted mulies with me but never elk.