Elk Liver

Antares

WKR
I would be interested i a few more recipes people like?!

I was thinking about grinding some liver in some sausage with a bunch of spices to hide the taste ...haha

No soaking, cut into 3/4 slices, salt and pepper, dust in flour, pan fry in butter, DO NOT OVERCOOK (should still be blushing pink in the middle), serve with onions, ketchup, and bread, put your big girl pants on.

You guys have piqued my interest.

I have always enjoyed heart and tongue but I only recently started keeping tongues from game.

Liver has never been on the menu for me, but maybe the next one I'll give a try. I wish I had seen this a week ago....

TomJoad

WKR
Yes liver, yes tongue, yes heart. I eat both liver and heart fresh, tongue ends up frozen 90% off the time. I use elk and deer liver for pâté. Sometimes country style with a little ground muscle other times more of a traditional French preparation sieving. Regardless always resting and weighting in a terrine. A dessert wine like sauternes is a great alternative to congnac as well. I’ll use all kinds of different fresh herbs depending on my mood and what I have on hand.

Mosby

WKR
I can't eat liver. Not beef, chicken, elk or any other animal. Can't stand the smell or texture. Grew up in a small home and I had to leave when my mom made liver and onions for my dad. Elk heart is something I might try. Tongue? Not worth the effort for me.

I would be interested i a few more recipes people like?!

I was thinking about grinding some liver in some sausage with a bunch of spices to hide the taste ...haha

I've catered a number of events and weddings. This mexican chorizo seasoning is a crowd pleaser and I've mixed in liver with it for my own family. Kids eat it

Kodiak13

FNG
Last night we had a wonderful dinner consisting of Elk liver and onions. It was the second half from my last hunt, and I gotta say, I couldn’t be happier that I packed it out! Again!

As a kid, I hated this stuff. But things have changed.

Just wondering how small of a crowd I’m in doing this. If you don’t, you don’t know what you’re missing.

Next hunt, don’t let it go to waste.
Take along a couple Ziploc gallon size freezer bags. It will fill two of them.

Here’s the simple recipe;

Slice, rinse, soak in milk for a while, it will mellow out the bitterness a bit.

Season with Salt and pepper (lemon pepper). Roll in flour, pat off excess.

Large skillet, medium heat, add olive oil and soften sliced onions a little then add liver till browned once on each side. Cover and let rest for a little while.

Goes well with dry red wine.
I’m there with you and don’t forget the kidneys next time! We take heart, liver and kidneys and fry/sauté in olive oil topped with pine nuts and lemon juice & fresh parsley and scoop that goodness up with pita bread. We’ve also done some Indian cuisine with the Offals and wow, those spices lend themselves well to organ meat

Kodiak13

FNG
I’m there with you and don’t forget the kidneys next time! We take heart, liver and kidneys and fry/sauté in olive oil topped with pine nuts and lemon juice & fresh parsley and scoop that goodness up with pita bread. We’ve also done some Indian cuisine with the Offals and wow, those spices lend themselves well to organ meat
Forgot to add, liver should be eaten fresh and not frozen. Freezing really throws off the texture and will definitely make a newbie never try it again

matsprt

FNG
Simply put, I hated liver as a child. Fresh elk or venison is another story. I always take the liver and heart. Great for sandwiches the following days.
Side note - I’ve always taken the tongue also. Never understood why that is not taken more often. Also yummy in sandwiches.

Uncmikel

FNG
I try to use every part of the proverbial Buffalo. I’ve tried liver a few times but can’t find an edible recipe. The dogs appreciate that fact.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
We take all liver, heart and tongue from our deer, moose and elk. Except when they look like cork, full rut at times.
This year I harvested my first elk from Vancouver Island BC, left the liver, they have Flukes in them, nasty!

Simply put, I hated liver as a child. Fresh elk or venison is another story. I always take the liver and heart. Great for sandwiches the following days.
Side note - I’ve always taken the tongue also. Never understood why that is not taken more often. Also yummy in sandwiches.

How do you cook the liver?

matsprt

FNG
Soak overnight in a bucket of water. Then next day boil it for heart and tongue.

Good old liver and onions in the frying pan.

Seeknelk

WKR
Ive had deer, elk and bighorn sheep liver. They've all been fine . Some are stronger than others. They literally give me a buzz of energy. I only have few ounces and I'm fine. The thing with liver is the more you cook it ,the worse it is. It's incredibly rich in vitamins and minerals and that the metallic , hard bitter taste. Soaking in heavily salted milk for 30 min to an hour helps ease some of the strong taste and makes the texture better.
The best by far was the sheep liver. My dad is no liver fan , but says it was one of the best things he's had. Heart is obviously easy and delicious also. Liver is not the filter of the animal but it fun to say , I get it.

Heart is delicious, gets eaten in camp or at the truck after a packout. But liver, I was completely ruined on it is a kid, won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Too many memories of sitting at the table long after my parents were done trying to steel myself for one more bite of that nasty, pasty slab. I do gutless anyway, so it's always left for the coyotes and birds.

I remember my mom and dad making liver and onions when i was a child and I didn't like it. I'm nervous to try it again, but also feel like I'm not doing the elk justice until i actually give it a shot. So on my next elk I will try it. Hopefully I wont regret packing it out.