Elk Parasites

NDGuy

WKR
Nothing a good grilling to well done with ketchup on top won't fix

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
OP
B
Wyoming reported 2 elk testing positive for Chronic Wasting Wisease or CWD. Most all Div of Wildlife appreciate the head or brain tissue to test. Our local report said NOT to eat the meat.
Yes I contacted the local game warden. Both times we have agreed it’s not worth it to eat the meat. We would constantly be repulsed knowing we might be eating parasites and I just don’t like well done meat 😂

On a related note, I have the similar parasitic infections in waterfowl and fish.

It's nice to know that it's not infectious to humans but regardless, I'm not eating that.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Bull last year had this. I contacted every game biologist I could, within all the states where elk is a hunt able game, independently of each other. A solid deep freeze and a good cook and it’s good to go.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Sarcocystis. The way it was explained to me is that its in prey animals and when they are consumed by predators its transfers to the predator. Mostly canine. Then dropped in scat, consumed on accident. Rinse lather repeat. Doesn't transfer to humans, but a good freeze is not a bad idea. I was told “you would be shocked by the amount of meat on the shelf that has this”

OP
B
Sarcocystis. The way it was explained to me is that its in prey animals and when they are consumed by predators its transfers to the predator. Mostly canine. Then dropped in scat, consumed on accident. Rinse lather repeat. Doesn't transfer to humans, but a good freeze is not a bad idea. I was told “you would be shocked by the amount of meat on the shelf that has this”
Thanks for the input. My husband went out and shot a cow and it has it as well. So I think we will have to go with your suggestion and freeze well and cook to temp! Can’t keep wasting meat. Also makes me think I’ve probably consumed it before from some rare steaks.

Button

WKR
Many fish I catch have worms in the flesh. Picture 1cm+- long sperm.
Some fillets/fish are completely infected with sperm worms.