Elk season fitness-altitude issues for flatlanders

What's up fellow gymnerds?

I have been thinking about something crazy for elk season this year.

I stay in shape year round- I coach and do crossfit 4 to 5 days a week, i have 4 dedicated lifting sessions per week, I do 2 to 3 longer sessions of steady state cardio and I do 1 to 2 high intensity integral sessions on either the assault bike or the rower every week. Before elk season, I increase the amount of specific work that I do. I will add in workouts like "chad" (1000 step ups for time, with a pack) do odd stuff like sled pushes and pulls, bear crawls etc.

I split wood by hand and I drag a sled around the farm to fill waters, etc. Everything manual that I can do with my body I do especially leading to elk season.

However,
Altitude really smacks me in the face the first couple days of my elk hunt every year. It makes my inner biotch perk right up. Last year on day 1 going back up to glass from where I got water... man I'm not gonna lie my inner biotch was reminding me that beef is cheap and beer is cold and tasty.

Has anybody found a good way to train for it yet? I consider myself mentally tough. I compete regularly. I never quit on anything, but the altitude sure seems to crush my spirit for the first day or 2. After that then I'm good. I just really want to find a way to train that so I can enjoy those first 2 days.

TheNorris

FNG
Diamox. You’ll need a prescription from your doctor. Start taking it 24 hours before your first ascent. It works great.

x2 on Diamox (generic name is acetazolamide). My hunting partner stays in great shape year round and trains hard but lives at 1000' ASL and always gets hit hard when we go elk hunting at 10,000+. He took Diamox for the first time on last year's hunt and it helped him immensely.

OP
E
x2 on Diamox (generic name is acetazolamide). My hunting partner stays in great shape year round and trains hard but lives at 1000' ASL and always gets hit hard when we go elk hunting at 10,000+. He took Diamox for the first time on last year's hunt and it helped him immensely.
That's where I live too- 1300 feet if I go up the biggest hill I can find 🤣

TheNorris

FNG
No kidding... what's it do?

Probably different for everyone. But for me personally, I don’t notice any difference in physical performance between sea level and 10k+ feet when taking it. Diamox has multiple medical uses so you’d have to read up on it to make sure you’re comfortable with the potential side effects. My primary care physician is a hiker and personally uses Diamox so I feel comfortable with it.

OP
E
Probably different for everyone. But for me personally, I don’t notice any difference in physical performance between sea level and 10k+ feet when taking it. Diamox has multiple medical uses so you’d have to read up on it to make sure you’re comfortable with the potential side effects. My primary care physician is a hiker and personally uses Diamox so I feel comfortable with it.
It sure would be amazing to not lose a half day or a full day to feeling crappy . I'm also not smart enough to take an extra day to acclimate. I go right from the truck to the top like a dummy but it's because I'm on limited time

I have buddy’s that come out from all over the country to hunt with me and everywhere they are from is much lower in elevation than where I just live. I have them drink plenty of water, chew gum and try to eat constantly. I also remind them that it’s not a race to the top……for the first couple of days we will camp at a much lower elevation.

OP
E
I have buddy’s that come out from all over the country to hunt with me and everywhere they are from is much lower in elevation than where I just live. I have them drink plenty of water, chew gum and try to eat constantly. I also remind them that it’s not a race to the top……for the first couple of days we will camp at a much lower elevation.
I have a hard time slowing down... but that is really good advice. I already eat constantly... perks of being a fat kid at heart

Actually being in good shape increases your risk of getting altitude sickness. Not that you shouldn’t train…but bear in mind it has nothing to do with getting altitude sickness. I don’t think “science” knows why but it’s been studied.

If high altitude (over 10,000 ft IMO) is an issue, get a prescription for diamoxx. Altitude sickness is just something completely different and unrelated to physical fitness. Some guys are more affected, others less so. Hard to predict but if you’ve had issues in the past chances are good you’ll have issues in the future.

you also should consider letting your body acclimate to as you approach 9000 ft and beyond. The body acclimates to altitude while you sleep at night. A night at the trailhead, and another night at camp will help your body acclimate and you will feel better rather than charging up to base camp.

OP
E
Actually being in good shape increases your risk of getting altitude sickness. Not that you shouldn’t train…but bear in mind it has nothing to do with getting altitude sickness. I don’t think “science” knows why but it’s been studied.

If high altitude (over 10,000 ft IMO) is an issue, get a prescription for diamoxx. Altitude sickness is just something completely different and unrelated to physical fitness. Some guys are more affected, others less so. Hard to predict but if you’ve had issues in the past chances are good you’ll have issues in the future.
I wouldn't say I get full on Altitude sickness, more like the lack of oxygen turns me into a complete biotch for a day. I can't keep my heart rate in check, my breathing goes to heck and I start feeling sorry for myself real fast. I normally hunt the steep stuff in Idaho and the first day or two I need so many dang breaks it's almost embarrassing. I don't get light headed or feel like I need to throw up or anything but I just feel weak and tired.

OP
E
you also should consider letting your body acclimate to as you approach 9000 ft and beyond. The body acclimates to altitude while you sleep at night. A night at the trailhead, and another night at camp will help your body acclimate and you will feel better rather than charging up to base camp.
I'll have to time out my hunt to accommodate extra time then. My fear is that I I won't have the time I need to find and kill elk if I don't get right after it. Is 9000 the magic number??

dtrkyman

WKR
A lot of issues I see with folks coming into altitude is related to being dehydrated!

Lay off the booze prior to heading up as well.

I'll have to time out my hunt to accommodate extra time then. My fear is that I I won't have the time I need to find and kill elk if I don't get right after it. Is 9000 the magic number??
8500ish is when the air gets thin enough to start having some effect. If you’re camping above 10k I would factor in acclimating and diamoxx into the hunt plans, personally. Above 11k and it’s more of managing the symptoms then actually avoiding them, for most people.