Elk use of large lakes for water

I’m always looking for water in my elk areas, which in the past did not have relatively large lakes or rivers in them ( several foot wide springs and holes). I am moving to a new unit that has larger streams (8-10 feet wide) and lakes available. Will elk use these larger sources or still prefer the smaller sources next to cover? My assumption is it depends on pressure but curious others experience. In hindsight I’ve never seen elk watering at large sources.

Sled

WKR
I see them using larger sources on low pressure units and during low pressure times. During the season it's possible they water there at night based on the tracks I see. If water is more scarce on the unit then they will be more willing to use the larger sources.

When safety becomes a higher priority they will likely forgo the daytime ventures to the lake.

OP
N
I see them using larger sources on low pressure units and during low pressure times. During the season it's possible they water there at night based on the tracks I see. If water is more scarce on the unit then they will be more willing to use the larger sources.

When safety becomes a higher priority they will likely forgo the daytime ventures to the lake.
Thanks Sled.

jmez

WKR
I've seen them use the larger water sources quite a bit early season, esp when it is hot. They get in, swim and play in the water. I've seen an entire herd come running off the side of a hill and never slow down, hit the water.

jmez

WKR
Three years ago in MT I was hunting an area that had several good sized lakes. All popular fishing spots as they weren't that hard to hike into. I saw several fisherman through the week. Came up on one of the lakes one afternoon about 2pm. Guy was fishing so I went over and visited with him. Told me I should have been there an hour ago. Bull started bugling on the hill across from him. The bull, 5 cows and calves all walked down, drank and played in the water for 20 minutes while he was fishing.

slick

WKR
We had elk in the lake at camp last year. While that’s the only time I’ve seen it, there was sign that said it wasn’t the only time it had happened at that particular spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with larger lakes has been less elk than normal and more hunters than expected.