Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

Tried this yesterday and learned a few things.

1. Need to print the targets without line weights disabled...impossible to see the circles when the line is as thin as the printer will get it.

2. Both unsupported positions need work, wish I had finished reading the entire thread for some of the recommendations on technique there.

3. Timing off an iPhone was annoying.

Didn't make it to string 3 because I remembered incorrectly and thought it was 8 total shots, only have a standard 3rnd tikka mag. 7/14

For those that want to use a shot timer but not spend much on one, if you have an android phone you could try the "splits" shot timer app. It has the ability to adjust microphone sensitivity etc. Playing around with it, it seems to function pretty well when clapping loudly or making similar noises. Setting the microphone intensity minimum to 100 prevents it from picking up a clap (as loud as I can right by microphone), so it may work well for shooting.

It's a 30 day free app then it's $5.50. if it works for shooting then it would be a good deal.

I'll test it out this week.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done this hunting drill a few times and find it very challenging. Yesterday I had the range to myself after zeroing some rifles with new scopes so decided to just work on positional shooting. Even with no time/pressure I still really struggle with offhand and sitting unsupported. I’ve read the thread and tried to apply the advice given but still have a massive wobble in these positions. Would love any additional tips from anyone who has found ways to improve these positions.

Targets are below for reference. I was 4/8 offhand, 3/8 sitting unsupported, 4/8 (but almost 7/8) sitting supported and 6/6 prone.

Attachments

• IMG_8374.jpeg
    IMG_8374.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8375.jpeg
    IMG_8375.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 17

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done this hunting drill a few times and find it very challenging. Yesterday I had the range to myself after zeroing some rifles with new scopes so decided to just work on positional shooting. Even with no time/pressure I still really struggle with offhand and sitting unsupported. I’ve read the thread and tried to apply the advice given but still have a massive wobble in these positions. Would love any additional tips from anyone who has found ways to improve these positions.

Targets are below for reference. I was 4/8 offhand, 3/8 sitting unsupported, 4/8 (but almost 7/8) sitting supported and 6/6 prone.
I've been trying to improve these positions as well, and honestly for me it just comes down to more rounds down range and making small changes in grip and body position until it clicks...but it definitely is frustrating until you get there

TaperPin

WKR

Offhand wobble definitely gets better with more muscle memory - even dry fire practice. Beyond that, the thing that helped me the most is sometimes called active trigger control - getting your reflexes used to making the trigger break the very moment the crosshairs pass into the circle. It sounds simplistic, but we can become passive in the trigger pull - just wobbling around until the gun randomly goes off. Being more active on the trigger doesn’t reduce your wobble, muscle memory has to do that, but rather it trains reflexes so the gun goes off when it’s moving in a direction that’s more likely to hit within the circle.

One way this is practiced is to have a circle large enough that 8 or 9 out of ten shots can land in the circle - the focus is on the trigger going off as you just barely cross into the circle. As soon as you can get 10/10, then the circle is shrunk slightly and the process repeats. If this is practiced just 20 shots a day, dry fire or live when possible, after a month you’ll notice a difference in how you shoot. Rather than rush onto the target and wobble around in and out, you’ll come in more slowly, but the shot will come off faster, if that makes any sense.

The direction you come into the circle doesn’t matter much - it might be random or from the same direction at this point - whatever you naturally do is fine, but eventually you’ll notice it becomes more natural to come in from one direction - I tend to swing into the target from 7, 8, or 9 o’clock, but I’ve seen the computerized trace of a number of good shooters and they each seem to have a different natural preference.

The trigger control reflexes you gain standing will translate to all the positions.

In fly fishing, it’s similar to watching or feeling a fish take the fly and instinctively setting the hook quickly. Someone just learning has super slow reflexes, but in time it almost seems like the brain has rewired itself to be much much faster.

If you try this method, be sure and let us know how it works out.