Best LRH rifle setup for practice and hunting?

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't reload, I'd consider selling the 6.5 SAUM for a 6.5 PRC. That's going to be very close in performance and a decent amount of factory ammo to choose from.

I get having the secondary rifle for practice and would suggest a .223 or 6.5 creed. They're both great for training / practice. If you want a back deer rifle I'd pick the creed. If you want something to shoot vermin with I'd consider the .223. They'll both do great for training IMO. There's many others out there that will do very well but other than a 308, not many check the boxes of; easy on barrels, lots of factory ammo and cost per shot.

hwy1strat

WKR
If you don’t reload then I’d stay away from the saum. The prc is a great round with tons of availability.

Personally, I’d keep the 300prc and then buy a trainer rifle in 223, 6 creed, or 6.5 creed.

How is your 300prc setup? Ie. stock, weight, brake? There may be things you can do to that rifle that would allow you to spot your shots better

Thank you for the explanation! Totally makes sense. Hammer bullets are built to be more bore riding and get more velocity under the same premise. Didn't think of the gun being chambered that way to give the bore riding effect. I'm very familiar with free bore, which accomplishes a similar thing. Is +P in this usage similar to that?

I'm not qualified to answer definitively but the following is how it plays out in my head- It seems like the premise of +P/bore rider throat is a slower pressure spike when a bullet first meets resistance from the lands engraving because the change in resistance happens over a longer distance of bullet movement.

Where as a longer freebore basically allows there to be a larger chamber volume behind the bullet when the bullet is meeting resistance from the lands and thus causes reduced pressure. The rate at which it spikes when it is meeting resistance from the lands is likely different than a bore rider/+P throat.

For a non-handloader - longer than necessary freebore or +P is going to reduce velocity over a standard throated chamber unless the non-handloader pays someone to custom load with more powder.

A 6.5 SAUM is a bad choice for a non-handloader. An improved case without factory improved brass is a terrible choice for a non-handloader. And a +P or longer throat is a bad choice unless further custom load work is done as well plus removing half the lands on your throat in a cartridge that is hard on barrels doesn't seem desirable. Overall, it just seems like an real bad choice unless someone has F-you money they don't care about burning.

Last edited:
OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t reload then I’d stay away from the saum. The prc is a great round with tons of availability.

Personally, I’d keep the 300prc and then buy a trainer rifle in 223, 6 creed, or 6.5 creed.

How is your 300prc setup? Ie. stock, weight, brake? There may be things you can do to that rifle that would allow you to spot your shots better
The 300 prc was in an Christensen FFT stock and I’m currently waiting on an xlr magnesium 4.0. That should help a lot. Think after seeking some info on this thread I’m gonna keep the 300 and add the 6.5 prc. In the meantime I’m gonna start aquiring components for reloading both and can switch to the saum down the road once I have a half ass idea about reloading.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 win mag with a vortex pst 6-24 rifle scope. I do lots of shooting out to 1,000 yards. This gun does very good for the money. I have successfully killed elk from 730-903 yards. I don't recomend taking these shots without lots of practice. I use factory ammo. Fusion 180 grain. These are the only shells I can pattern with, without making bullets myself. I highly recommend the savage 300 long range rifle with the muzzle break and accu trigger. Food for thought!

I have a 300 win mag with a vortex pst 6-24 rifle scope. I do lots of shooting out to 1,000 yards. This gun does very good for the money. I have successfully killed elk from 730-903 yards. I don't recomend taking these shots without lots of practice. I use factory ammo. Fusion 180 grain. These are the only shells I can pattern with, without making bullets myself. I highly recommend the savage 300 long range rifle with the muzzle break and accu trigger. Food for thought!
Where do you hunt? And Is that what you're shooting? The savage 300 long range?

Last edited:

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
What are you intending on practicing with the training setup?
Would you be able to achieve the same thing with a 22lr or 223 trainer?

A 22lr trainer is definitely the best money you can ever spend as far as learning to be a more proficient shooter. The only thing you can't learn is recoil management.