ES Flyers?

You may have already done this, however, I have called Tech support @ Berger on reloading questions specifically related 215 hybrid bullets and load development. They were very knowledgeable and eager to help. Same goes for Redding competition dies tech support. They may be able to explain why you see lower speeds on the initial shot (may be cold barrel causing slow initial speed or something else) and offer suggestions on what are the significant parameters that affect the ES spread.

Another good resource is Sam Millard. I have emailed him several times on reloading related topics.

email address listed under details.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
you Have to trust you chrono for sure. i have known of several pact and shooting chronys sent back because they did not match what the shooter expected. unfortunately nothing was wrong with them.

last year i seen a test with a MS and LR done at the same time with pretty close results.

for years i have used a one shot a day system to check zero. shoot one shot a day at one target and after 5 days you will have a real picture of what your rifle does.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Made a little progress.

Didn't clean the barrel, but patched with 3 dry patches. Loaded up charge weight test with everything the same, but dropped neck tension, and switched from Federal 215 GM to CCI 250. First group was 75.8 grains of H1000, just over 2900 fps, a 21 ES for 5 shots, under 1 MOA, with no issues with the first shot slow (Actually, was near the upper end speed-wise)

Unfortunately, bumped up .2 grain for the next charge weight and hit pressure at 76 grains, which I hadn't with the Federal primers. Didn't expect that, so only got that one 5 shot group before moving to shooting the 6.5 CM.

Going to do a complete clean, and shoot again this weekend. Just have to decide if I want to work on loads, or load up some rounds and have fun shooting some steel.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Maybe you are shouldering the rifle tighter or looser on the ES flyers?

That was one thought I had. Shooting from the benches at my range sucks, hard to get comfortable behind the gun, and no prone shooting. This past trip, I switched to a better/stiffer bipod, and was concentrating on loading it consistently (As well as making the primer and neck tension change)

Lawnboi

WKR
That was one thought I had. Shooting from the benches at my range sucks, hard to get comfortable behind the gun, and no prone shooting. This past trip, I switched to a better/stiffer bipod, and was concentrating on loading it consistently (As well as making the primer and neck tension change)

Spiked bipod feet make shooting off crap benches easier imo. Especially on a gun that requires a little muscling like a light 300WM.

Billinsd

WKR
Personally, I have trouble concentrating on my trigger finger and keeping consistent shoulder pressure at the same time.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Spiked bipod feet make shooting off crap benches easier imo. Especially on a gun that requires a little muscling like a light 300WM.

Yeah, I have them on both bipods, and put the feet in between two of the boards, which fortunately run laterally. It's more just the ergonomics of sitting off to the side, bench at the wrong height, takes a lot of finagling to get comfortable.

Personally, I have trouble concentrating on my trigger finger and keeping consistent shoulder pressure at the same time.

Me too, this trip I was worrying much less about shooting the best group possible, more not letting the round "Soak" in the chamber for long, get good consistent pressure, and let 'er rip because I was focusing on ES. Fortunately it's a light triggertech, so pretty easy trigger pull once I want it to go.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah, I have them on both bipods, and put the feet in between two of the boards, which fortunately run laterally. It's more just the ergonomics of sitting off to the side, bench at the wrong height, takes a lot of finagling to get comfortable.

Me too, this trip I was worrying much less about shooting the best group possible, more not letting the round "Soak" in the chamber for long, get good consistent pressure, and let 'er rip because I was focusing on ES. Fortunately it's a light triggertech, so pretty easy trigger pull once I want it to go.

I think I just need to make a trip to Boston and see if it shoots the same for both of us 😂

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I think I just need to make a trip to Boston and see if it shoots the same for both of us 😂

Come on out! Fortunately, the latest trip was better... Saturday making the trip to a better range where I can shoot longer, prone, etc... Too many damn rules at the places near the city.