Etolin island (AK) elk???

LostArra

WKR
While fishing POW I talked to a local who drew the tag but the weather got so bad he never stepped foot on the island. He said it might have been a blessing because he had doubts about his conditioning for that hunt.

Beendare

WKR
I've been on Etolin multiple times archery bear hunting and shooting the crap out of all the Porkapotamuses.

A guy will need to barge a side by side or quad over there to hunt it effectively. You will have to get off the roads as the local hammer it pretty good all year.

My guess, as I've never actually seen an elk on Etolin...only tracks...is that they are higher up in the alpine.

Pretty worthless info I know....

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've been on Etolin multiple times archery bear hunting and shooting the crap out of all the Porkapotamuses.

A guy will need to barge a side by side or quad over there to hunt it effectively. You will have to get off the roads as the local hammer it pretty good all year.

My guess, as I've never actually seen an elk on Etolin...only tracks...is that they are higher up in the alpine.

Pretty worthless info I know....

From what I gather, it seems like just a bitch of a hunt....I'm almost thinking of turning the tag in and going to POW for black tail and black bear.

Beendare

WKR
I couldn't tell you....and worth mentioning...its been 10 years since I've been there so my info is old.

I can tell you there are locals that have barged rigs over there and use it as their weekend playground judging by the shell casings along the road.

Does the F&G have herd numbers for elk on Etolin? It didn't seem to me there were a lot of elk there....but we were mainly off the road system and its so thick its not like you can glass them up easily.

_____

ramses342

FNG
My buddy and his brother actually drew that hunt this year. Its the last rifle one of the year and so we were talking about it and I looked up harvest statistics. For that hunt at least it is averaging a 8% fill rate over the last five years, the last year on record being 2018.... http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=elkhunting.harvest. I have heard that hunt is a real SOB, the terrain is crazy.

Last edited:
My friend went in 2014

Its a Beeotch of a hunt from accounts

cant imagine flying from D-hole for the privilege.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
What weapon/time of year are you considering? If you are looking at archery you will be up high and need to decide which area/range you want to hunt. You can charter a plane out of Ketchikan or charter a boat out of Wrangell. The range on the SE side of the island has the highest density but is the most brutal area to hunt. You might be able to find a plane that will land you in one of the lakes on top but they wont pick up your meat there. You will need to hike your meat down to the salt to accommodate for a longer take off space. The range over by Mosman inlet has elk but a much lower density. The biologist in Petersburg knows a lot about the area and is very open with giving advice, he stated that of the guys he talks with maybe 1% actually attempt this hunt. Personally I'd opt for an OTC spring black bear tag and return in August/September for a deer hunt.

I drew this tag as well. I am based out of Coffman Cove just across the straights and plan on boating in. I have fished all around the island for years but have never stepped foot on the island. If fact I have never shot a 4 legged critter over about 5 pounds. I am usually the guy spotting and packing. If anyone has suggestions on where to boat into I would love to hear their experience.