Even The Wall Street Journal is Covering Elk Shed Hunting!

And anybody that has messed with antlers knows they are too hard to give to a dog.

I was blown away when I discovered the shed market. I was under the impression it was something that was done for fun. It’s sad that everything outdoors these days gets monetized to the extreme and the ones doing it for the love of the game get pushed out. And maybe it always has and some of us were naive to it. I just remember it being cool as a kid to get invited to go with Dad and my uncle and walk through the woods and try to find a shed. It felt like you were getting one step closer to getting to go on the actual hunt. Nowadays in some areas kids will never get that chance probably.
I kind of had the same reaction reading this article. I knew a lot of people went out but I had no idea on the extent and popularity.

For me as kid, shed hunting was like a really fun Easter Egg hunt around the ranch or up in the mountains. The only "professional" shed hunter I knew was a craftsman who had a business making elk chandeliers for guys like my dad who were home builders.

Now that I'm more aware this phenomena, I'm even noticing some of the big hunting brands sending emails to "gear up" and prep for shed season.

Back