Evening shots

If I know it is a good hit, no problems going after them in the dark. Questionable hit in a thick area, come back in the light.

Made the mistake of going after one in the dark that I didnt know where it was hit, but found good blood and followed for a ways. Very thick brushy area, blood all over the ground and all over brush on both sides of the trail. Figured dead bear for sure. Ended up stepping on a very much still alive bear that luckily just got up and took off. Backed out at that point. Bear was found first thing in the morning, low brisket shot. and dead not far from where I stepped on it.

WCB

WKR
So unless it is dark enough where I am having issues seeing vitals...I'm 100% taking the shot. I have never understood in 99% of situations when guys are back at their vehicle or camp before the end of shooting light or are leaving their spot or stop hunting then.

Another thing I will never understand are guys that go looking for animals that they question the hit on with out a firearm or bow. Even more so bears. Guy in MN got chewed on by a big black bear going after it in the dark with no way to finish it or defend himself.

Your point about being solo etc. I guess would come into factor if a guy wasn't experienced in bears? But I guess I just don't get guys afraid to do stuff by themselves or can't handle fairly simply situations by themselves. Even more so the fear of the dark. Same dangers are there in the daylight unless the terrain has features that are best done in the light (cliffs or just extremely deep).

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Evenings are when I see the most action both spring and fall. Last fall I shot my bear about 10 minutes before the end of shooting light. Bear went down hard so I grabbed my stuff and headed that way. It got up and tumbled/crawled down into the timber. Spent a couple hours looking for it in the dark with no sign of blood. Came back in the morning and found it pretty quick. I will alway do what I can to find it that night, but sometimes the dark and thick brush make it difficult.
I had walked within 20’ of it in the dark but didn’t see it

flytrue

FNG
November 2021 I arrowed a big bear right at last light. It was a 15 yard shot and I felt good about it. As I sat there trembling from the excitement I waited for the death moan. There was none. I then took out the headlamp and started to trail it. I had enough blood to follow it for a while, all the while the going was getting tougher though. When the blood thinned out I quit till morning. He didn't go far and I found him easily. Problem was he had begun to spoil, the flies were already laying eggs on him. I think he spoiled due to a combination of the warm weather and his own girth. He was approximately 300 lbs, and a 19 1/2 inch skull.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Problem was he had begun to spoil, the flies were already laying eggs on him. I think he spoiled due to a combination of the warm weather and his own girth.

Thanks for sharing this. It highlights a real important point. Bears have a ton of external insulation (hair, skin thickness, fat) have large muscel mass thick bone structure. When the circulatory system stops, they retain heat better than other game animals. All of these are key in getting the field processing done as soon as possible. Even in cooler temps an bear will sour faster then most ungulates. Definitley something to keep in mind, especially on late evening shots in warmer temps.

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
I rolled a bear down a clearcut a few years ago 10 minutes before LST one evening. Bear literally rolled head over butt 100 yards down hill into the bottom of the cut which had a little creek. Steep sides, brushy/alder lined. I was on opposite side. Walked to edge and couldn't see bear through brush. Started picking up rocks/logs and throwing them into brush. No noise/movement whatsoever. It was pert near dark. Flashlight out dark enough.
I walked about 30 yards down the draw looking for an easy place to enter. Jumped about 4' down into the bottom and the second I landed the brush that was 9' away erupted. Loud awful noises and movement. I fired 3 shots from the hip and took off running and screaming like a school girl.
Came back the next morning(with friends) and found Bear dead in brush. We pieced it together. Bear hit in spot that broke spine that left back legs immobilized. It was crawling down hill. Bonus was I hit it twice from hip. Front leg, and body.
The real scary part came on the pack out when my buddy asked "did anyone know you were hunting here?"
I replied, "I told my wife I'll be up in the woods and home around 10pm". We only have around a half million acres of woods around. Ugh.