Everyday boot?

Smid

WKR
Just bought a pair of Danner crag rats but I can’t get them to feel right after lacing them and going to be returning them. Looking for a waterproof boot that I can use for general outdoor (shooting, scouting ect) and early season hunting. Im in Ohio so I don’t need a super stiff sole western hunting boot. I tried on the Salomon quest at REI today but the arch was making a stabbing pain as I walked. Any suggestions appreciated!

Rokslider

FNG
I really like the Lowa Zephyr Mid GTX. They make it in a non GTX as well. I wear it all times of the year without sweating. It’s super comfortable, and the only downside is color options. Most are very tacticool. I just ordered the Salewa Mid Alp Trainer for an everyday shoe. I wear Garmont approach shoes and the Salewa looks like it could fit that everyday shoe. I’ll send some thoughts once I get it in to have some available info.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I really like the Lowa Zephyr Mid GTX. They make it in a non GTX as well. I wear it all times of the year without sweating. It’s super comfortable, and the only downside is color options. Most are very tacticool. I just ordered the Salewa Mid Alp Trainer for an everyday shoe. I wear Garmont approach shoes and the Salewa looks like it could fit that everyday shoe. I’ll send some thoughts once I get it in to have some available info.

That was my only dislike was the tactical look. Don’t want to get beat up at the range for stolen valor lol. But it seems like they would fit the bill pretty well for what I’m looking for. How’s the sizing for you?

Rokslider

FNG
Hahaha so true. They came out with the Wolf color and it looks good. Sizing wise I wear a 10.5 in Salomon, On Shoes, Crispi, and Lowa.

For about a hundred dollars you can get some Timberland Earthkeepers. GTX waterproof and comfortable right out of the box. Like you said, you don't need a stiff boot, and these are not. But they are extremely comfortable and they work. And they are dirt cheap.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Hahaha so true. They came out with the Wolf color and it looks good. Sizing wise I wear a 10.5 in Salomon, On Shoes, Crispi, and Lowa.

I didn’t see the wolf gray option before. Those might be the answer

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I second the lowa renegade gtx. I wear them everyday for work as well with little complaints. Left boot is not waterproof anymore but most likely because I never treat them or clean them so it is to be expected. Find them on sale for about $140 to your door and it’s a steal

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I just bought a pair of Merrell Vego Mid's for all the uses you described. Everyday low-duty walking around/scouting/warm weather eastern hunting boot. Really, they are more like a trail runner with a 6" top. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are. Not sure how long they will last, but so far I'm loving them, and you can't beat the price.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/merrell-vego-mid-leather-waterproof-hiking-boots-for-men

Yeah I’ll have to try those out. Can’t beat the price, even for just a spare or yard work if I don’t love them

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
For an all around boot, I think Merrell Moab mid-height boots (more like shoes) are worth a look. I prefer the ventilator option with no waterproof membrane. The Merrell waterproof membrane is a joke. I haven't tried the Gore-Tex option, however.

I know they're a cheap shoe, and in my opinion some of the stuff Merrell puts out is pretty bad. But they got it right with the Moab design. I've had very good luck with overall durability. My only complaint is the look of them - they look like dad shoes.

For an all around boot, I think Merrell Moab mid-height boots (more like shoes) are worth a look. I prefer the ventilator option with no waterproof membrane. The Merrell waterproof membrane is a joke. I haven't tried the Gore-Tex option, however.

I know they're a cheap shoe, and in my opinion some of the stuff Merrell puts out is pretty bad. But they got it right with the Moab design. I've had very good luck with overall durability. My only complaint is the look of them - they look like dad shoes.

Most of the year I prefer the Moab Ventilators but in winter I like the waterproof Moab 2 and dry feet. I did spray mine with Obenauf's Water Shield before ever wearing em.

Last edited:

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing the Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers every day. They are more comoftable now than ever. No complaints. Wanted to pick up another new pair of Solomon's the other day to replace a pair of older ones I have and couldnt get them to fit or feel right. Even tried several different insoles. These Kenetreks have fit great from the start and now that they're a couple years old, they feel even better.

Drenalin

WKR
Crispi summit. I’ve had mine for about a year and absolutely love them.
I'll second these. I've only had mine for about a month, but I've been reaching for them over anything else I have. I would like to pick up a pair of Moabs to save some wear on the Crispis, but these Summits are an excellent boot.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the year I prefer the Moab Ventilators but in winter I like the waterproof Moab 2 and dry feet. I did spray mine with Obenauf's Water Shield before ever wearing em.

Winter is definitely different. I have a pair of waterproof Moabs that I wear outside for work sometimes when there's snow on the ground. I'd rather have sweaty feet that are sort of damp than soaked feet due to water leaking through the boot. With my experiences, though, I would not take the waterproof Moabs out for anything other than a day trip where I can go home, change socks, and dry the insides of the boots at the end of the day. They are very popular, however, and I know people who use them for real serious hiking and backpacking and don't complain about the waterproofing.