Exo K4 vs SG Krux frame

For the last 8 years? I’ve been using an original SG Krux frame, and while it’s still holding up it’s certainly looking a little long in the tooth.

Those new Exo K4 packs are looking nice, and what I might end up buying when I’m ready to retire my Krux.

I’ve used Seek Outsides pack briefly when I thought about cutting weight, but I couldn’t ever get it comfortable with anything more than about 30lbs no matter what I tried. So much for trying to cut weight!

I’m wondering if anyone here whos owned both would be willing to chime in with their experience? I’m primarily looking for frame/fit comparison. I’m less interested in bag comparison. As long as space stays about the same I can make it work.

Thanks!

OP
J
I've had both. If I was in your shoes I'd use the SG until it's completely worn out and then buy a K4.
Whats most likely to happen is that I end up buying the K4(or whatever replacement) prior to the SG being completely worn out so that way its "waiting in the wings" if something were to fail. I'd rather have it sitting ready to go and set/adjusted to me vs potentially scrambling to get something together at the last minute.

I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth out of the SG, and I would have no qualms about buying another frame from them... but I've heard a hell of a lot of great things about Exo. They're right there in the same weight range as well. I'll probably go this route unless I hear some unfavorable comparisons.

ljalberta

WKR
I have the newest Xcurve and K4. Both are great. I have more experience with the SG, but am really looking forward to getting more miles on the K4 as early impressions are excellent.

I don’t think either is better. Order both and see how they fit your back. Return the one that doesn’t fit as good.

Can’t go wrong with either. I’m keeping both myself and will continue to use both.

sr80

WKR
I've owned both, for me with the SG, my only grip with that frame was the belt hurt my hips bad with anything over 60lbs, and the frame having no horizontal frame support, which led to the frame barreling on me sometimes. I do not have those problems with the K4. So if you don't have those issues, or any other issues with the krux then it just comes down to you wanting to try something new. The flat SG frame with a bit of extra lumbar padding always fit me best, so i was a bit worried about the curved frame of the K4 but it actually fits me very well. Zero complaints about the K4 frame for me.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same experience with the SO frame. It’s great if you plan to pack your sack lunch and nothing else; otherwise, it’s terribly uncomfortable with weight.
I’ve owned the X-curve and currently own the K4. The K4 has the better belt, and frame IMHO. No barreling on the K4 frame, different stays to suit your torso length, the padding is better, and the belt is next level.
Both SG and Exo are great, however I think the Exo K4 has the edge.

sr80

WKR
Barreling of the frame is huge for me, im not sure why we don't hear more of this with the SG frames, but like i said it wasnt all the time but sometimes ive had it just looked ridiculous, and its such an easy fix.

I have both the X-Curve and the K4. I prefer to hunt with the SG because it's lighter and I'm used to the bag layout. If I were hauling meat I'd prefer the K4 because under load the SG hurts the points of my hips and the frame barrels some with rigid cylindrical loads.

In all honesty if I were hauling meant I'd grab my Kifaru Tactical.

I think the K4 is a super nice pack if you're only going to have one, it probably does it all better than anything else.

OP
J
I have both the X-Curve and the K4. I prefer to hunt with the SG because it's lighter and I'm used to the bag layout. If I were hauling meat I'd prefer the K4 because under load the SG hurts the points of my hips and the frame barrels some with rigid cylindrical loads.

In all honesty if I were hauling meant I'd grab my Kifaru Tactical.

I think the K4 is a super nice pack if you're only going to have one, it probably does it all better than anything else.
Looking at weights with bags, it seems the K4 and either the Krux/X-Curve are within 4-8oz of each other. Before hunting I was into UL backpacking so I get the "ounces equal pounds" sentiment, but this small amount of weight I'm not personally concerned about as long as comfort is there when hauling realistic hunting weight. That SO pack I tried would've probably been fine had I been a day hunter, but putting over 30lbs in it... it wasn't nearly comfortable anymore. I put 60lbs in the SG and it still rides like a Cadillac.

OP
J
One more question - what do you guys think the market is like for the K4 frame? I ask because I would consider buying the frame only and strapping my weight to it to test it out.

I know Exo offers a return policy, but honestly packs are like boots - how do you really test these things and keep them in "like new" condition? I found a way to do that with boots, but I can't fathom a way to do it with a pack.

Looking at weights with bags, it seems the K4 and either the Krux/X-Curve are within 4-8oz of each other. Before hunting I was into UL backpacking so I get the "ounces equal pounds" sentiment, but this small amount of weight I'm not personally concerned about as long as comfort is there when hauling realistic hunting weight. That SO pack I tried would've probably been fine had I been a day hunter, but putting over 30lbs in it... it wasn't nearly comfortable anymore. I put 60lbs in the SG and it still rides like a Cadillac.

My math says 12 ounces for the 3600+500 lid. Still small.

I think the SG hauls the hunting weights just fine. Hauling meat I think the K4 is superior.

Jdub

FNG
I’ve been running a SG xcurve frame and had zero complaints. Mostly due to the fact that I had no prior experience with a frame pack. I recently purchased an Exo k4 2200 to run whitetail season. My first impressions are that I prefer the Exo Mtn 100% over the SG frame for the simple reason that I’m a bit vertically challenged and the ability to run shorter frame stays on the K4 is way more comfortable. I’m sure I’m giving up some load lift, but the frame uppers are interchangeable so I can run short uppers in the whitetail woods and have a taller setup for hunting out west.