Exo Mountain Gear: Our findings on hipbelts and lumbar pads…

DanB

FNG
I haven't used much of anything worth talking about. However, from everything I've read and heard from friends, it sounds like a taller waist belt helps alot. By looking at the pictures on the Exo website, the belt looks good to me.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Where did you get the idea for your belt, Steve?
Just typed this article up this morning. We did some pretty substantial testing over the last year on making sure we got the hipbelt/lumbar pad as dialed in as we could and this is a quick summary of those findings.

http://exo-hunting.com/findings-hip-belts-lumbar-pads/

Would love to hear everyone's opinion / feedback on what they like and have used?

Thanks,
Steve

Good write up and thought. Up until now, Kifaru is my only pack of choice. One for quality but mostly due to their fit and comfort. These Exo packs however have caught my eye big time.

Looks great! Is there a shot at you ever doing a slightly shorter hip belt? The wide belt is my only complaint with the kifaru because of my high waist. I have to cheat it down a bit or else it restricts my breathing and I get a side ache, and if I go slightly farther down than that my hip flexers start to cramp...

I like the cinch style, pull forward instead of backwards you seem to have on the belt Steve. I prefer that style. I have it on one of my backpacking packs. It's just easier for me to adjust on the go or having to unbuckle the belt to tighten, loosen, etc.....

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Looks great! Is there a shot at you ever doing a slightly shorter hip belt? The wide belt is my only complaint with the kifaru because of my high waist. I have to cheat it down a bit or else it restricts my breathing and I get a side ache, and if I go slightly farther down than that my hip flexers start to cramp...

We sewed up a handful of different prototypes and one of them was a short version, I can maybe send that to you to try out.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Dang that looks like a Kifaru belt, don't let the OPW guys find out :)

Yeah Aron and I had a phone conversation today, the final version is actually a lot different looking than the prototype I used in the picture. They are going to be similar in the different length options and that they are soft/flexible. Our lumbar pad is quite a bit smaller in pretty much every dimension.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Steve,
It looks good. Hunters keep getting more and more great options everyday it seems like.

I'm a big fan of Kifaru packs (I have two, with another one on order) but I'm interested to see how these stack up. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try one out this year.

If anything Kifaru should be complimented if there are some similarities in the hip belt... After that much R&D they went with the most functional piece. It's a big market and plenty of room for more companies...

Mike

Rizzy

WKR
I did an afternoon hike with the Exo 3500 daypack today and overall this is a comfortable pack so far, I'm looking forward to trying out the final product in April. The hip belt on the Exo prototype pack is very comfortable. It is similar in design and function to the 3 piece belt that is on my kifaru bikini frame. I really liked the rough surfaced fabric on the Exo lumbar pad, it grips good. There is a lot changing on this pack so a critique isn't pertinent at this point in time, but I will say that this pack will be a top contender in the pack market.

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 35

ChadH

FNG
I'm excited to see this pack... I'm trying to decide between it and a Stone Glacier... they both look like they are pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I am anxious to hear what the "bigger" bag final volume will be (and eta).

Rizzy

WKR
The 3500 is bigger than it looks, but I couldn't fit all my gear in it so I went daypack mode as it was designed for. Anything over 5000 would probably have the volume you need.
Highcamp 4800 on the left, Prototype Exo 3500 on the right for comparision

ChadH

FNG
The 3500 is bigger than it looks, but I couldn't fit all my gear in it so I went daypack mode as it was designed for. Anything over 5000 would probably have the volume you need.
Highcamp 4800 on the left, Prototype Exo 3500 on the right for comparision

Thanks for that photo! The 5100 of the Stone Glacier sounds just about right to me. Don't want bigger.